Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
but, here goes. I am relatively new at this bowhunting thing. This is my first full season bowhunting after only hunting the second half of last year. Anyways, It was just after legal shooting light here in MN and I was about to get down from my stand. As I started to pack things up, I heard a deer blowing about 40 yards from me. It was snorting and blowing like mad, and stomping the ground as well. Now I know that I got busted when this happened...The question that I have is was the deer blowing because it heard me, or could it have smelled me? Like I said, I am new to this, so I don't really know what it means when they do this other than "I got busted." Thanks for the help.
Bud
P.S. I also had scent killer on, and try not to let my clothes get contaminated with human scent even though I am hunting on a farm with lots of people around. Thanks again.

· Registered
1,267 Posts
Could be both. A faint scent will get them blowing. A strong one will usually get them running. If they see movement they might blow at you. They are trying to clear their nose to get a better wiff of you. A little tip: If you get blown at walking to or from your stand, stay dead still and try blowing right back at them. Sometimes that will make them think its just another deer and settle back down.

· Registered
5,341 Posts
You got busted!

It could be the effect of either getting smelled or heard. The stomping is done to get you to move making it easier for the deer to see you and identify the source of the smell or sound.

If the wind was blowing in that direction you were smelled, if calm or blowing away it heard you.

· Registered
1,376 Posts
dont appologize for not knowing something. 99.99999% of ArcheryTalk members are MORE than willing to answer those "dumb" questions. ask away!
now, for your question, it could have been both. the stomping means they know something isnt right, and are warning the other deer of it. scent killer and other similar products do indeed help, but if they were down wind, they smelled you.
that sure is a creepy sound, when a doe blows at ya in the dark!

· Classifieds Administrator
39,607 Posts
It's their reaction to not knowing what you were. If you presented great danger you would have seen a tail up and the deer take off in a hurry and generally at that, they only go about 50-100 yards before stopping and looking back for the danger.

They could not figure you out and what you were. Its almost like the deer didn't know to run or if it was alright. The foot stomps alert the other deer of the possible danger too.

· Registered
8,137 Posts
If it kept stomping and blowing, it was prolly a doe. A doe is like a typical woman......keep stomping and complaining. Bucks usually blow once and split. A young buck might just stare at you like he's an idiot.

When one deer stomps, it's a warning and the other deer raise their heads and start looking around too. I've had them blow at scent before, but most usually it's when they've finally seen the danger.

· Registered
475 Posts
if it kept stomping and blowing, it was prolly a doe. A doe is like a typical woman......keep stomping and complaining. Bucks usually blow once and split. A young buck might just stare at you like he's an idiot.

When one deer stomps, it's a warning and the other deer raise their heads and start looking around too. I've had them blow at scent before, but most usually it's when they've finally seen the danger.
+1

· Registered
5,351 Posts
Had a doe catch my scent the other day. She spent about an half hour stomping, blowing, and hopping around the food plot searching the wood line for me. She looked straight at me and never picked me up. But she had my scent and was actively seeking to catch a visual to confirm. She blew immediately after crossing my wind. It is used for sight and smell. Stomping is a warning too. It means "HOLD STILL" and you may be getting busted at any second so "TAKE the FIRST SHOT YOU GOT"

· Registered
2,946 Posts
Yep could have been both!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.