Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use the tan boots that the military currently uses for hunting/hiking? I'm thinking for an out-west bowhunt in Colorado they just might be the ticket. No boots I've worn out-west have stood up as much as I'd like. If they're good enough for the Marines in Afghanistan then they'll probably work for anywhere in our country chasing deer. Pros/Cons anyone?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Military Issue Boots

I wore combat boots for hunting for a few years after I got off active duty. As far a durability is concerned, they are great. If you are going to be a cold weather environment, your feet will freeze. The insulation in these boots is terrible. I would recommend a boot from Rocky for all around quality.

·
Registered
970 Posts
The real question I'd ask is how much can you afford to spend on boots. To me, good boots are every bit as important as your bow, and more important than anything else. Out there, your feet are your only transportation.

I've hunted predominantly in backpacking or heavy-duty hiking boots. They're built much better than most "hunting" boots. Right now I wear the Meindl Perfekt Hunters that Cabela's carries. They're pretty expensive - $230 or so. But I've worn tons of different boots at all price points and I've worn them in all terrains and in all different weather conditions, backpacking with heavy packs in the Rockies and many other places. These Meindls are the most comfortable boot I've ever worn. As far as durability goes, I've only had them for about 6 months but I've never read a bad review of them and most people seem to get about 5-10 years out of them.

Whatever boots you pick, I'd STRONGLY recommend buying the best ones you can afford, even if you have to forgo this year's new bow or whatever.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I agree with charcuterie

for warm weather I like them for hiking , hunting and all around outside adventure.However when the temps get below 50 degress I need somethin a bit more substantial:darkbeer:

·
Trophy Meat Hunter
11,248 Posts
I tried using the tan military boots two years ago in Montana and changed to my ankle-high hiking boots after one day. The military boots while good for traction on loose rocks and gravel, just did not fill the comfort requirements.

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
I wore combat boots for hunting for a few years after I got off active duty. As far a durability is concerned, they are great. If you are going to be a cold weather environment, your feet will freeze. The insulation in these boots is terrible. I would recommend a boot from Rocky for all around quality.
Amen

Especially the fargin jungle boots. Too many nightmare road marches and near frostbit toes in those.

For cold weather, I always like the Matterhorns. A bit expensive, but feet hardly got cold, and never wet.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
FWIW-
These are the ones I sell to the SWAT team...

The guys love 'em.... supposed to be MIL Spec... used in the deserts etc by Spec Forces

This is what I copied from the website...

http://oakley.com/catalog/products/s-i-assault-boot-6-inch
Avail in 6" or 8" Black or Tan

This boot is the civilian version of combat gear we developed with the U.S. military. It includes multiple innovations created specifically for the Elite Special Forces. Lightweight and athletically inspired, it offers the comfort of prime urethane shock absorption and the climate control of a moisture wicking liner. The vulcanized rubber sole includes directional lug geometry and provides wet/dry traction on both smooth and rough terrain.

* Meets US Army Uniform Spec 670-1
* Soft temper for instant comfort and silent movement
* Climate control of moisture wicking liner, plus gusseted tongue to block debris entry
* Low-friction lining with anti-microbial treatment
* Jump ready design with over-the-ankle boot shaft
* Ergonomically optimized geometry with enhanced load-bearing stability

CHuck

·
A.T.Under Sophist
20,880 Posts
I have two pairs of the actual military issue. They are insanely comfortable because the military size ten is exactly the perfect fit for me, even tho my actual shoe size is 10 and a half. Mine are Gortex lined but I dont walk through standing water in them. However, I dont hesitate to walk thru dew covered fields, mud and snow. They have never gotten wet inside, but as I say, I've never walked through standing water. They are insulated with 300 grams thinsulate. I've worn them in temperatures as low as the single digits and never gotten cold. However, I'm always walking, never just standing iin one spot. I suspect they would get pretty cold on deer stand if the temperature was lower than freezing. I have my Irish Setters for late fall deer stands, but these military boots would be great for upland bird hunting or rabbit hunting. Probably any hunting that occurs in above freezing weather and involves walking. They are a great hiking boot and good to wear to work or for any outdoor activity in the cooler months. If you get a pair that fits right, you'll want to wear them every day (I do). I'd recommend it as a general all around boot, but I'd stay away from extremes in temperature.

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
Anyone use the tan boots that the military currently uses for hunting/hiking? I'm thinking for an out-west bowhunt in Colorado they just might be the ticket. No boots I've worn out-west have stood up as much as I'd like. If they're good enough for the Marines in Afghanistan then they'll probably work for anywhere in our country chasing deer. Pros/Cons anyone?
I wear boots every day and have worn out many a pair of "issue" boots in my life.
I work with steel and weld many hours a day....these boots hold up!
Bates,Altama ,Belleville are very good quality.
Be cautious of some of the cheap "jungle' boots they are crap...made in some third world country and NOT real US issue!
You can find deals on ebay!
I go with Gortex lined,one/half to one size too big,two pair of good wool blend socks and I'm set for almost anything nature can throw at me:)

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Well there are a lot of different boots that the military get issued (Bates, Lacrosse, Belleville...). It really depends on your job and what the military could afford. Some are better than others of course. I'm required to use steel toed boots for my job, but was accidentally issue the wrong boots once (non-steel toe). I now use those non-steel toed boots for early season hunting because they are extremely light, quiet and have excellent traction.. I use a number of different boots at work. I work out on the cold flight line and they don't stay that warm....our feet are freezing all the time.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
The real question I'd ask is how much can you afford to spend on boots. To me, good boots are every bit as important as your bow, and more important than anything else. Out there, your feet are your only transportation.

I've hunted predominantly in backpacking or heavy-duty hiking boots. They're built much better than most "hunting" boots. Right now I wear the Meindl Perfekt Hunters that Cabela's carries. They're pretty expensive - $230 or so. But I've worn tons of different boots at all price points and I've worn them in all terrains and in all different weather conditions, backpacking with heavy packs in the Rockies and many other places. These Meindls are the most comfortable boot I've ever worn. As far as durability goes, I've only had them for about 6 months but I've never read a bad review of them and most people seem to get about 5-10 years out of them.

Whatever boots you pick, I'd STRONGLY recommend buying the best ones you can afford, even if you have to forgo this year's new bow or whatever.
I agree, buy the best you can afford. I personally have worn all the Military boots, including the Oakley boots, in combat in Iraq.
I would not recomend that you use the Military issue at all, the Oakley boots are very cofortable, however I wore mine out in 3 months in Iraq.
Most Military boots lack alot of ankle support, they have some but it's not enough, trust me I have rolled plenty of ankles in 12 to 20 mile road marches in those bad boys.

If you want a boot that will last 1 season Oakley's are your ticket, if you want a boot that will last you several seasons look at boots designed specifically for hiking & backpacking.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Speaking as someone who owns multiple pairs, and spent a year hoofing around Iraq in them, realize the boots you're talking about were chosen for a different set of requirements than yours. The mil boots were designed to be cheap to make and buy while being very durable and acceptably comfortable for the bulk of our soldiers. Most of the jungle-boot versions have terrible ankle support, and twisted ankles was one of our most common injuries. For inexpensive boots they're okay; remember, you get what you pay for. While deployed I spent my own money at the PX on a pair of Rockies in desert tan to rotate through with my other boots--the Rockies were expensive but have better support and are far more comfortable.

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
Add this...

Example of deals on ebay:

This boot retails on the Belleville sight for 140 bucks.

Ebay.......
One day left on auction...new with tags......$29!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View attachment 556926

Not your Grandfathers combat boot any more!

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Most military boots they issue us are for short term use. Once you start "pounding sand" they don't last very long. I usually go through 2 pairs a year and have went through 2 pairs on a 6 month deployment before. The quality for long use is just not there. For the money, I'd recommend a good civilian hunting/hiking boot over the standard issue boots we get.

If they were not issued, most of us would not wear them. I have a several pair in the garage for yard work and such but I never wear them hunting.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Example of deals on ebay:

This boot retails on the Belleville sight for 140 bucks.

Ebay.......
One day left on auction...new with tags......$29!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View attachment 556926

Not your Grandfathers combat boot any more!
Those are not bad for $29. The problem with these boots are the soles are glued on and not very water proof at all. The sole material is usually very hard and become brittle over a short period. I've had chunks of the sole fall off on rocks after a few months in the desert heat.

They are better than my Grandfather wore in WWII for sure!:darkbeer:

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
The Belleville Gore-Tex Issue Boots are not waterproof, I know what they claim, water resistant yes. Trust me I spent a few years on Ft Lewis, thats about the best place to test waterproof gear, most things that say their waterproof, really aren't. Learned the hard way more than once that the best rain gear, is the best Non Gore-Tex you can find, water will eventually soak through Gore-Tex.
Also your feet will sweat alot in them, because they can not breath in those boots.

If you want to condition your feet for Months/Weeks on end to those type of boots, like military personel do they will work fine. Be prepaired to buy atleast 2 pairs to do that though.

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
Archery Talk is the place!

Ask a question and you will get a hundred answers and from many walks of life.

Archery Talk.....Ask a question and you will get an answer:)

I personally think the US boot is a good boot...value.

Yes these feet have never seen "active duty"....but they do see more then there fair share of abuse,and they're still holding me up very well.
They have worn many a pair of boots....and they were very happy with their last pair of Gortex Bates!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Ok well as a person that wears them nearly every day of the year the warm weather tan combat boots are amazing! I actually prefer to wear them over my tennis shoes on my days off. I have used them for hunting consistintly for the last 4 years since I got my first issue and have never considered getting anything else. As for the cold weather boot they are even more comfortable but not for hiking your feet will sweat and they are considerably heavier. If you are going to ask about durability I have had the same pair of boots for 2 years now and wear them as I said nearly everyday. You cant go wrong with them. The GORTEX Belville's listed above are the cold weather boot and would be perfect for a blind/stand hunter. But like I said If you are hiking in CO even in the cold wear the warm weather boots and just wear a good wool sock and change them twice daily and you are fine. I treat my boots with a water proofer to ensure my feet wont get wet when walking through moist environments....JMHO

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the replies. The boots I've been eyeing up are the tan ones from Belleville. I've used Belleville before and like them a lot. They were the black model 700. I'm not going to be using them during cold weather at all. Every thing I've been looking at has be uninsulated anyway.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Im not a huge fan of the Bellville boots, but they are better than the old "Pole Climbers" we used to have. The latest boots that I have been issued a made by Converse! They are by far the most comfortable boot I have owned. We will see how they hold up to the desert heat on the flightline out here in the next month or so, but the Bellvilles used to melt to the blacktop!
Tom

1 - 20 of 31 Posts