Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When should blocks, licks, pellets, and powder be put out? What time of the year? And just out of curiosity- what is something you used that worked well? Thanks

·
Registered
820 Posts
whoa, pretty broad question. Most guys establish a mineral lick in early spring. Deer will use these for all of spring and summer. I suggest using a chelated mineral made specifically for deer. You can probably find some at a feed store. Work it into the ground. Freshen it up with some Deer Cain and they will use it a lot. Switch to more of a feed based block and feed in the fall. If you are interested in feeding pellets with antler growth products then you need to start in early spring. Deer are not use to eating pellets and they are best started in a gravity feeder and mixed 80% corn to 20% pellets. Gradually increase your ration as the deer eat it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice. thanks NC

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Out of the box mineral licks...The one I have found to work VERY well is the lucky buck brand. That stuff is STRONG smelling sweet apples...And the one bucket poured directly on the ground will last a long time...

If you just want something simple...goto a local feed store and buy a 50lb salt block that cattle farmers use. Should be about $7 or so...Take it out into the field and place it, take a hammer and bust it up into baseball sized chunks and smaller. The deer will go nuts trying to dig the salt out of the ground....

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
I agree 100%. After the Bucks shed the velvet you will seldom see deer at your mineral sites. After the rut is over and the deer shed there antlers they will start coming back to your sites. Most people wait till spring but they will come back about mid to the end of Feb. There are a lot of great home made mineral recipies out there that will save you alot of money. I have to add this just because, but Bust A Buck Deer Lure has an awesome mineral called Grow A Rack!! I know a good 80/10/10 mix if your interested in doing it yourself!! Just shoot me a PM.

·
Aim Small, Miss Small
5,589 Posts
Deer will begin using salt when they start to eat green foliage again..Many scientific studies done by respected universities have shown no increase in antler growth with mineral-supplemented deer. It is said that deer crave the salt because the high potassium content in the foliage they eat all summer throws off their internal salt/potassium balance, and they need sodium to balance it out. It just so happens to be the same time their antlers start growing, and they stop eating is about the time velvet comes off.

With that said, straight salt is what they are craving and need, and the other trace minerals found in the store bought mineral blocks and supplements, etc are not needed, nor beneficial to supplement. The other minerals found in those products are needed in such a trace amount that deer have no problem getting them from their daily diet.

The best thing I have found is either stock salt (ice cream or dairy salt at a feed store), or cheaper yet is water softener salt. Pellets, rock salt, or white crystals work awesome. I think the deer prefer that over licking a block. Just make sure you dont get the rust remover stuff..

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
18,779 Posts
Salt is what they're looking for. You're not going to grow their racks by putting $$$ commercial mineral gimmicks out there.

Save yourself some money and get a 50lb trace mineral/salt block from a fleet store for $6. Either put it directly on the ground or on a stump.

Very early in the spring is when you will start attracting deer and they usually quit hitting them in early September.

Place it near a heavily traveled deer trail or food plot, preferably with a water source nearby.

The deer will find it. I like to get mine out in March.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
bait is legal here in ohio and archery doesn't end till 2-6-11. i've thrown a small mineral block in the corn and they eat it right up. i'm 10 miles from lake erie, 20 miles from pa. lots of snow and cold temps. i usually hunt over bait in dec. and january.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sweet. thanks for all the tips everyone.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
I do think some of the additives help the deer find your spot. They are after the salt, but if you don't have a giant deer population anything will help get them to your spot. In my home made mix I think all 3 ingrediants benefit the deer and there growth!!

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
18,779 Posts
I do think some of the additives help the deer find your spot. They are after the salt, but if you don't have a giant deer population anything will help get them to your spot. In my home made mix I think all 3 ingrediants benefit the deer and there growth!!
There's a lot of research that's been done to prove it actually doesn't benefit their growth.

One if the best threads on AT concerning this subject....

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1180188&highlight=Minerals+growth

·
12 puncher
1,953 Posts
i have a trophy rock in the middle of my lucky buck mineral and it works great,and i have the vidios to prove it and i still have does useing it

·
Aim Small, Miss Small
5,589 Posts
Trophy Rock. nuff said
Very over-priced chunk of salt.. Look at the ingredients..its like 95 percent plain ol salt. And like already mentioned, it doesn't help with their antler growth at all. Not trying to tell you how to spend your money, but I'm just sayin..

Hey Steve- why do you put thr blocks on a stump? What's the reasoning behind it?

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
18,779 Posts
Very over-priced chunk of salt.. Look at the ingredients..its like 95 percent plain ol salt. And like already mentioned, it doesn't help with their antler growth at all. Not trying to tell you how to spend your money, but I'm just sayin..

Hey Steve- why do you put thr blocks on a stump? What's the reasoning behind it?

Lots of stumps around here, logging country. lol

Seriously though, they just seem to last longer on the stump. They eat away at the stump too, you can hear them tearing it apart on the videos.

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
18,779 Posts
I always try to think like a deer too. Figured I'd rather chew on wood than dirt. I was raised by whitetail deer ya know :)

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
$7 for a 50 lb salt block from about any feed store....will last for the whole year more than likely...Buy it in Feb or March and it will last to Sep. unless its very open and catchs alot of rainfall. If not, its only another $7 to buy another, 2 will certainly last all year.

·
Beer Whisperer
10,896 Posts
Even this late in the season, I have still had deer coming in almost every day to the Trophy Rocks I've been putting out this year. IMHO, a Trophy Rock is the best thing to put out if you want deer to start hitting a site almost immediately. For some reason they seem more palatable from the start. Trace mineral blocks or salt of almost any kind will work but they seem to be better once they've had a chance to "melt" into the ground a bit. As an experiment this year, I put out regular mineral blocks and Trophy Rocks out side by side and every time, they started licking on the TR and left the other block alone.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1248929

Here's a pic of a little buck at the rock in the middle of October.

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
+1 nc but they will use the cow mineral blocks just as well when bought with high protein content. take a hammer and gallon of water break in half pour water over it it will soak in ground and they will stay at it longer if you want and sugar or molasses etc. . .

1 - 20 of 44 Posts