Archery Talk Forum banner

Mineral Licks (Di-Cal, Trace, Salt) How Much?

3818 Views 29 Replies 26 Participants Last post by  PAstringking
Got the recipe.

1 part di-cal
2 parts trace
1 part rock salt

3x3 area

My question is how much do you use to start a new site? Hopefully not the full 200lbs.......
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
10,204 Posts
I usually make 200 lbs. at a time. Put 100 lbs. to each lick. That maybe too much though! think I'll cut back to 50 lbs. per lick this year considering the increase in cost of Di-calc.

· Registered
530 Posts
I use an old metal coffe can as my measuring device! Then i refresh a new site at 3 months, and older sites i will only freshen up around every 6 months.

· Registered
3,056 Posts
The DOE video was very informative. I cannot find di-cal. But I can get cattle minerals.

· Registered
376 Posts
They only use it when they need it.

Mostly in the summer months.

Once the temp begins to rise you will notice activity.

Put them out now so that they can dissolve into the soil to make it more productive for the summer.

· Registered
988 Posts
Hope this helps!

I always throw some corn out or apples around the area, it seems to help them find the mineral site a little bit quicker.

· Registered
46 Posts
I am an idiot, but I assume di-cal is an abbreviation for a longer name. Can somebody enlighten me. I recently got on a new lease, and would like to put out some minerals for the summer months. Also, are these items that you can purchase at a local feed store?

thanks

· Registered
690 Posts
I am an idiot, but I assume di-cal is an abbreviation for a longer name. Can somebody enlighten me. I recently got on a new lease, and would like to put out some minerals for the summer months. Also, are these items that you can purchase at a local feed store?

thanks
Yes feed stores. Di-Calcium Phosphate about $26 a 50lb bag

· Registered
173 Posts
I watched the video isn't this too much Di-calicum phosphate ratio. I've seen alot of various receipes on this site but none with a 3 to 1 ratio of Di-calicum phosthate. It is generally the other way around. I just started 3 new mineral licks aboutr 2 weeks ago with this receipe: (2) scoops trace minerals, (1) scoop Di-calicum phosphate, (1) scoop goat minerals, and (1) scoop dried molasses. I'm waiting to see how it does.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.