Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have used all kind of high dollar Mineral supplements for deer, and seen and talked to many other people who have used it, This stuff works, but I have seen people use red trace mineral salt blocks that you can buy at any local farm supply or CO-OP for six bucks for a 50 pound block and supprisingly it works and will last a long time. Has anyone else had results from these type of mineral blocks seems like a lot cheaper way to make a mineral lick.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
$5 Brine blocks are my choice...works very well...

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
Here's the cheapest way to create a mineral lick that will attract with the best of them. You'll save a ton of money making it in bulk to.

WHITETAIL DEER HOMEMADE MINERAL MIX RECIPE

Ingredients: Makes 200 lbs. for about $23.00

1 part Di-calcium phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $11.00 you need one bag.

2 parts Trace mineral salt, the red and loose kind without the medications.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $5.00 you need two bags.

1 part Stock salt, ice cream salt.
Comes in 50lb Bags at around $2.00 you need one bag.

Directions:

-Use a 3 pound or similar size coffee can to use as your measure for each part of the mix.

-Mix all together well but not until read to use, keep ingredients separate until ready to put to use.

-Dig or tear up a circle in the soil about 36 inches wide and about 6 inches deep.

-Mix your mineral mixture with the soil.

Maintenance:

-Replenish in 6 months with fresh supply of, mineral and then each year there after.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I have two blocks out behind my house, a red mineral block of the farm supply variety, and a white salt block. The deer seem to prefer the straight white salt, but they do come to the mineral block as well. Spring to late summer, I see the pregnant and lactating does make a beeline for the mineral block in preference to the white. That's the only time they seem to prefer the red.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I suggest you follow Cornfeds recipe !

Trace mineral blocks are just that,TRACE.The mix is way more beneficial,
it includes Di-Cal.A mix that includes minerals that arean't found in the blocks and that benefit your deer.Does probably benefit most due to the calcium she gets while she is nursing.This results in healthier fawns,which inturn result
in a healthier herd.I've been using this mix for over ten years and deer love it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts