Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I hunt on a friend's land and we went up yesterday to put out a mineral block and put my camera up. I forgot that he runs cattle on the place during the summer. So my question is, short of building a fence around it, is there anything I can do to keep the cattle off my block?

·
Embrace the suck!
7,891 Posts
Nope.

I don't think so. They'll devour that sucker. I put my deer blocks and cameras in cedar wind breaks that are fenced off from the rest of the pasture. No cows allowed. :cow: Or llamas? :llama:

·
Registered
531 Posts
If your friend keeps mineral out for his cattle which i bet he does then i wouldn't be afraid of putting mineral out for the deer. On my uncle's farm where i hunt he puts plenty of mineral out where the cows hang out and i put mineral out in more remote locations and i never have problems with the cattle. I wouldn't waste my time building any fences they won't be in it that much if they have there own mineral to go two.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Yeah.....we mix our minerals in the dirt for the deer, cattle have nice blocks at easy licking distance right by their water...so they don't mess with the mineral sites much at all we put up.

Deer hammer them though.

Not sure why but the cows love to lick the trailcams though.....makes it hard to keep a lense clean till we started putting them up high. They also fill memory cards plenty fast too.

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Like the others have said, put them in areas the cattle aren't going to spend a lot of time in anyway (steeper slopes, keep the away from water, etc.). You should be alright.

·
Embrace the suck!
7,891 Posts
Mineral vs. Feed

Those guys are probably correct about the cows having their own mineral. The blocks I use are corn, beans, molasses and who knows what else, more of a food source than a mineral block. The moo cows eat em up fast. You might be alright with the mineral blocks.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the ideas. There is a bunch of green grass up there so I put the block back in the woods across a creek. There isn't much for the cows to eat back in there so hopefully they will just stay away. We'll see how it goes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts