Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for any feedback on mineral attractants , particularly from anyone that hunts eastern/coastal NC and VA. Trophy Rock has been a bust after trying it at 2 different sites, beginning in spring, 2 years in a row. Mixed results for Deer Cane- 1 site had some pics, another had nothing. Lucky Buck was a bear magnet for me. The only thing that brings deer to my sites is corn,but the lack of nutritional value, combined with a healthy bear population, makes corn pointless. I live 3 hours from my hunting land, so looking for something that isn't gone in a few days. Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
team whacknstack
3,193 Posts
Black magic

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
I don't know if this will be helpful, but I am in Georgia and have a similar situation...

Here is what I do...I rake up a 5' x 5' area, typically around a stump...I pour Black Magic all over it...then also pour some deer cane or other mixes...and then place a natural mineral rock on the stump or in the center of the area. Then I take 50 lbs. of corn and pour that all around the edges...I do that a couple of times until they start hitting the minerals, and then just replenish the minerals and it seems to work great...

Good luck...

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Been using Trophy Rocks for several years. They work for me. I put them in the same sites every year and by August the deer are digging into the dirt for the residual mineral. Just put 2 out last week.

NC

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
Lucky buck
Or the qdma mix has worked well for me

·
Registered
886 Posts
I have been using the granular all purpose mineral from TS. It's about $15 for a 50lb bag. I also dump straight stock salt as well on the sites. This year I am doing 2 sites. Both with the same mineral. And both have been very active with both does and bucks. One site had 1117 pictures in a 3 week period. The other site had 621 pictures in the same time period. When starting a new site I open up the area but raking away all leaves and sticks getting down to bare dirt in a 5ft circle. Then break up the dirt a little bit with a hand shovel. Then mix the salt/mineral in the dirt. Then I'll dump 50lbs of corn on top so they find the site and the minerals while eating corn. This is all I do and it has worked great for me for the last few years.

·
Bloody Arrow = Happiness!
5,445 Posts
I have mineral sites in North and South Carolina. Tractor supply trace mineral. Trophy rock gets about the same amount of attention. To get the deer hammering a site it takes a year or two. After two years any spot becomes a buffet and a hole in the ground. I try not to let a site go without a block in it for more than a few weeks. Try sweeting it up with a little molasses or koolaid to get them started.

·
Romans 10 vs 9
11,095 Posts
I've been running mineral sites in N E North Carolina for over 20 yrs with great success and let me tell you to just keep it simple. I use mineral sites just to inventory the bucks and identify with trail cams my target bucks for the upcoming yr. I'm running about six sites right now with cameras on them. It's best to place your mineral site on ground that has CLAY or a old hard wood stump, I like clay better because the deer seem to like it better.

I used a bag of trace mineral and stock salt, I mix half and half, rake out a spot about the size of a trash can lid down to the clay, I then put a 6 dollar trace mineral block from tractor supply in the hole then pour about a gallon jug of the mix around and on top of the block, top it off with about 30 lbs of corn scattered on the site mix it in and walk away. I find that works really well, does will start hitting it first then the bucks will soon follow in the areas I hunt.
IMG_0013.jpg dfi9u.jpg

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Those of you putting corn and/or sweets in the minerals obviously don't have a black bear population! We just can't do that in the Southeastern areas without the bear taking over.

NC

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
Once the area is established I don't put the corn or molasses on it...but maybe it doesn't ever get established with the bears...not an issue where we are...

·
Bloody Arrow = Happiness!
5,445 Posts
Those of you putting corn and/or sweets in the minerals obviously don't have a black bear population! We just can't do that in the Southeastern areas without the bear taking over.

NC

I have crawled back up the side of a mountain carrying the remains of a mineral block in my hands too many times. Bears will roll them over to look under them and if you don't have a log or two laying cross ways down hill below the block..........your block will end up at the bottom of the mountain once it gets to rolling. Bears can be a pain but we have found the deer are not too bothered by them. I have trail camera pics of deer showing up just minutes after a bear has been at the site. But bait would be out of the question. The bears would just take over.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I too use the trace mineral block from tractor supply. Every once in a while i'll change up and buy trace mineral in the bag from southern states and it works equally as well but doesn't last as long. Deer around here generally hit it hard from Feb till July and then tend to back off a little.

·
Romans 10 vs 9
11,095 Posts

NC

The corn is a one time thing, just to kick the site off faster.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Definitely some great ideas, and I will try the corn to get the deer started on the mineral sites.

·
Romans 10 vs 9
11,095 Posts
When y'all put out these mineral sites, do you hunt over them once the season comes in?
No, most bucks stop using them around the first of sept. in my area, the sites are just for deer inventory pre season.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'm on Maryland's ES about 40 miles from the ocean but tidal creeks/rivers from Chesapeake Bay all around us. On properties on or very near tidal creeks no minerals have worked for me, I think there is just too much salt already in the soils heck seen deer go and drink from the rivers. On properties several miles from tidal waters then salt blocks especially TrophyRock have worked good for us in spring and summer only. Usually put corn out to start a site but we got NO BEARS YET. Did have a bear come from jersey go thru PA and Delaware and end up on ES about 60 miles north of here so who knows, we got groundhogs, coyotes and beaver that weren't here 30 years ago. A friend nearby that has property on a saltmarsh has goodluck with protein pellets in spring and summer the deer DEVOUR them. I tried some with no luck but I think you have to train deer to eat them too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts