Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my son just turned 8 years old, hes not really the outdoor type but he wants to learn. i over estimated his strength a lot by purchasing a parker sidekick extreme 20-40# and found out quickly that he cant even pull back his little brothers bow a nuclear ice set to 12 pounds i found out that the mini genesis can be set to a 6 pound draw weight. do you think that i should purchase a genesis for now until he gets stronger? i wanted some other peoples thoughts before i made another purchase.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
If he really wants to learn it is worth the expense. Nothing is more discouraging to a youngster or a girl than a bow that is too strong for them to enjoy. If your son is the kind who will stay with it for a while he will quickly build up the ability to shoot a stronger bow. It probably isn't as much a matter of strength as just learning how to do it. If there are any youth programs in your area (Scouts, YMCA etc.) with coaches who know how to work with kids that will help a lot.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I faced the same issue when I get my 8 year olds bow. I took him to a shop first though and had him pull back some bows..ok a bow lol. He could pull back the Hoyt Ruckus when it was completely backed out. :) Love watching him shoot with me.
Yes, it think it would be worth it if he is interested enough to shoot. You can always pass it on to someone or sell it when he outgrows it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts