Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a pack of the mini 3l put them on my easton axis arrows with the metal washer between them. First shot washer broke and so did my arrow I pulled it out of my yellow jacket target to find out it did even open???Second shot the washer broke and the rubber band was still on??What am I doing wrong here??Is it because of the easton axis hiddin insert or what??Im confussed. Thanks guys

·
archery nut
5,918 Posts
i shoot the hammerheads at turkeys. the metal washer is not very strong/durable and you have to replace them after every shot..

YOUR HEAD DID OPEN however, when you shoot it into a target it opens, when you pull it out, the blades close and the rubberband can slide back onto the head.

·
Get out and shoot!
3,798 Posts
I wrap the blades with a couple wraps of black tape to keep them shut for practice.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its like when the blades fly open they hit my arrow, that cause damage to the arrow. Im not sye what to do

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What 75 grain expandables will work without braking my axis?Hypershock 80?The wasp jak hammers look just like the miniblaster, will they work?

·
Get out and shoot!
3,798 Posts
After looking into the hidden inserts I'd say they are deffenently the problem. Once the blade gets past the washer it goes right into the arrow. I see the advantages of the hidden insert but the tiny bit of weight and tiny bit more alignment they give doesn't justify them to me. A more standard insert gives you a 1/16" more metal buffer between head and shaft. A little bit of armor for the tip of the arrow.

I doubt your going to run out and have your inserts changed so what I would suggest is putting 3 or 4 washers on. Try that out with 1 head in foam and see how they hold up. Then tape them shut for practice. And if they fly the same as your field tips don't shoot them for practice.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Its definatly NOT the Axis...

Try Grim Reapers I have been using them for 3 years with my Axis and the work great and do not harm the shaft.

I have used Mini blasters in the past and will never use them again.

not bashing just my opinion...

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Have you tried the 75 grain Wasp fixed heads?

They fly very well out of fast rigs and are 100% reliable..

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im tryin muzzys now, i know they wont fly as nice as expandales, but oh well at least I will have a soild hunting rig!!

·
Banned
729 Posts
It is the arrows,period! I had the same problem when using Miniblasters,I even put two washers to try and stop the blades,but that didn't work either,just kept busting the unprotected ends of the arrows upon deployment. Since I only had about a dozen of the Axis arrows and about 30 Miniblasters,I just switched to a different shaft with a regular type insert.

As far as the target,the blades are closing when you pull the shaft out. They will also look closed if the head sticks out of the back of the target,because when the target grips the arrow and puts the brakes on,the blades will continue forward,which will put them back in the closed position.

There are some mech's that don't deploy against the shaft:Grim Reapers,newer model Vortex,and several others. The Rockets are great heads,as are the H.I.T. shafts,they just don't make a good combo!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts