Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there :wink:

I shoot a NBA Cyborg with CX Maxima Blue Streak 250s. But unfortunately, I get a little more arrow drop than I'd like to have(less is always better, right? :wink: ). I believe it's approximately 27mm(slightly more than an inch) from 10 to 55 meters(11 to 60 yards) on an admittedly rather long AX3000. My arrow speed with this set-up is 295 FPS. As that's 5 FPS short of IFAA's maximum of 300 FPS, I'd say speed is a parameter at which I can't win anything. My FOC is also something I'd rather not change(I use 70 grain points) as it's working quite well for me.

My question is: are there any parameters I'm overlooking for mimimising sight travel? Any tips and/or tricks?

Thanks. :)

PS: As English isn't my first language, I didn't really know what to call "sight travel". Is it the correct term?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Less extension on the sight will reduce the vertical travel needed. This is used by shooters when they begin to go beyond 50m.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But will also affect my precision. I'm not looking for a way to extend my range, as i can shoot far enough already. I'm looking for ways to lessen the effect of distance judging error. :)

·
Placebo Power!
12,050 Posts
Nothing is free.

Tune the bow for excellent arrow flight.
Minimize fletching size/offset/helical.
A heavier arrow at the same speed (more DW) will be flatter at distance and less effected by wind too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My bow has been tuned rather well, I have only a very slight helical on my tiny vanes and I'm not allowed to go up in draw weight due to regulations. :(

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
To get the maximum speed from your bow you will have to go to 5 gr per pound of draw weight and try to get 8.5 and 10 % FOC your vain set up should just enough to stabilize the arrow from 5 yards to a how ever far you shot in you target venue. And all of this needs to be tuneable for your bow.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As I said, I don't want a speed increase. I currently have a FOC of just 7,5%, and as you might have read in the original post :wink: , I don't really want to change that.

·
Registered
808 Posts
But will also affect my precision. I'm not looking for a way to extend my range, as i can shoot far enough already. I'm looking for ways to lessen the effect of distance judging error. :)
As I said, I don't want a speed increase. I currently have a FOC of just 7,5%, and as you might have read in the original post :wink: , I don't really want to change that.
I'm sorry, but you cant have one without the other. To minimize distance judging errors you need to achieve the following things...

1) Be better at distance judging, or....
2) Flatter arrow trajectory.

In my opinion, 7.5% FOC is a little on the low side. I would try a heavier tip. Get the FOC up to around 10%. Granted, this extra weight may sound like you are actually slowing the arrow down, but it will hold its speed better. The heavier tip will simply drag the arrow through the air. Do some serious testing over a period of time and find something that works. We have found that some tip profiles actually work better than others as well.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
You can only get your arrow to have less drop at all distances by making it faster.You do that by pulling more poundage or shooting a lighter arrow its physics MAN!.You could put helim in your arrows!or you can get a anti gravity bow.Good luck in your quest.Hay PSE or Bowtech will get you less drop on your arrows to.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Salmon killer is correct.

·
Registered
538 Posts
just my 2 cents if u have a fat arrow that is set to 5 gr per pound . Witch most of the time u will be around 315 to 330 i would say thats a good average for ibo 3D . If u take the same bow set the same shoting a small dia . that is heavier say around 350 grains [this arrow will be slower but will have a flatter trag. then the fat arrow ]:wink:

·
It's where its at!!
1,981 Posts
Unless I'm misreading your post, it seems to me the only way to minimize sight travel is to push it all the way out to the end of the extension. The farther from your eye the closer the gap between marks for yardages will be. But since you can't gain speed according to regulations and u are happy with the tune, that's what I would try unless you are maxed out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts