Archery Talk Forum banner

Minimum Arrow Weight

682 4
What do you guys feel is the minimum arrow weight above 5gpp that is both functional and ethical for White Tail deer coming out of a 60#/28.5" bow? What would you consider to be the ideal weight? Thanks.
Rick
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,147 Posts
I think if you pick an arrow with the correct spine for your bow then weight will fall into place. The lightest ones I can think of offhand are going to weigh around 7.5 grains per inch at your required spine.(GT Ultralights, Easton Lightspeeds, Carbon Force X-Weaves) They will fly fast and pass through deer with well-placed shots. I shoot Gold Tip Ultralights out of my 56 lb. bow and this combo packs plenty of punch, regardless of what some might think. Just match your arrows to your bow based on spine and you should be okay, but stay away from large diameter target shafts.

· Registered
47,636 Posts
Considering an arrow is spined properly, has a decent FOC and flies your BH of choice well from your bow...then any darned arrow you will get that meets those criteria will blister through a whitetail sized animal with a 60#/28.5 bow. Anything from 300-1000gr will get the job done. Did I mention to make sure it, and you, shoot well?

Just make sure the BH is super sharp and you could probably cut your draw weight in half and STILL kill whitetails. :mg: Using more bow (and more arrow) than you need is kind of like gas guzzlin' SUVs, if you get my drift......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.