Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When building arrows for 3D, what would be your lightest tip you would consider? I'm trying to get the speed up on my 3-39's (100gr now)and have been kicking the idea of lighter points....I am shooting 3-49's with 80 gr parabolic points, with good results,now and was thinking about 60gr points for the 3-39. I guess I have the tinkers.....I can't leave well enough alone. Do you guys think that would be too light for a 26.5" 3-39??

·
Registered
7,910 Posts
Personally I dont like to have less than 100gr tips. That is not saying you can get them to fly good with less just my choice.I have tried less and like the results with 100 gr so I try to stick with it,

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
80 gn would be lowest I'd go, but to know what works for you shoot for groups with various point weights and make an informed decision.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
80 gn would be lowest I'd go, but to know what works for you shoot for groups with various point weights and make an informed decision.
that is kinda what I was gonna do but I didn't want to have 4-5 packs of points that didn't work out for me....

anyone have a few different weight points for 3-39's that want to part with...

·
Registered
11,691 Posts
I'm shooting my Flatlines cut to 27" with 2" Blazers and 65 gr tips with no problem. FOC comes out in a good range and they come out good on my TAP program.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Post your set-up and someone can run it through TAP or On Target and give you some point weights that will still have good FOC, and spine out right for you.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I talked to the guys at Gold Tip today about the Triple X's we got on the subject about point weight vs. spine. They said that when it comes to compound bow's today spine is really not a factor. I asked how can that be when even they have all types of Spine arrows. They said for 3D the STIFFER the BETTER!! So just to find out I went to my local shop and had them make me up 6 Triple X's 27" with 50gr. tip and just to be safe I got some of the 10gr. screw in weights. I just got back and let me tell you there RIGHT!! These things fly like DARTS there GREAT!!! I tried out the screw in weights and they didn’t group a well as the 50's. Now just to let you know I have been shooting the Triple X's with 100gr. tips for about 2 months but I wasn’t getting the speed that I wanted or the groupings. I was shooting around 262fps now with the 50gr.'s up front I'm shooting 285fps!! Now I have what I want a FAT shaft, TOP SPEED and 2" GROUPS at 45yds!!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Post your set-up and someone can run it through TAP or On Target and give you some point weights that will still have good FOC, and spine out right for you.
I'll try to do this without forgetting anything....

82nd Airborne 29" 60#, limbdriver rest, D-loop, super peep,right now I am shooting 3-49's @ 26 3/8" long w/80 gr glue in points @308, I also have 3-39's that are 28" long w/100 gr. glue in points have not shot these through the graph but they hit considerably lower as I back up, both have 4" wraps and 2.3 Duravane 3D vanes.

I don't know what other info is needed for these programs...LMK if there is more needed

thanks

·
Registered
526 Posts
I ran it through On Target. I havent had the program very long and am a newbe at using it, so hopefully someone else will do it to confirm this.

Doesnt look like you are going to pick up that much by going to the 3-39's. They are almost the same weight as the 3-49's to start with. 8.580 gr per inch for the 3-39's and 8.830 for the 3-49's.

Your 3-49's are showing 7.92% FOC and look good as far as spine. I am showing 307.91 fps and you said you are shooting them at 308.

The 3-39's with 60 gr tips are showing 5.47% FOC, 310.95 fps, and very weak as to spine. Cut to 26.5" and they show 5.71 FOC, 313.59 fps, and still very weak.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the info....any idea what poundage the 3-39 come in stiff enough (@26 1/2") and where the speed will be....BTW where do you guys get this On target 2 program.....seems like I need it for myself...

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
go to the local proshop, and get 9/32" points, a good shop should have them in several weights, and usually $2.00 or so for 6, if you're gonna use nibbs buy 1/2 doz screw in inserts and try the points before switching back to the nibbs of choice. % sizes of nibbs for 3-39.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've pretty much weighted the pros and cons, and given up on the 3-39 idea....I posted them in the classifieds...the 3-49 shoot great and I have way more of them....I guess I should leave well enough alone....thanks for all the help and responses...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts