Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is a 25# bow at 28" enough for bowfishing for carp and northerns? I am looking to try bowfishing out but don't want to put my gamemaster in the water so i am thinking about using a 25# one.

· Registered
136 Posts
25#

I have a small bow for my son that is probably near 25 pounds pull. I know it will work, but as much as anything, I just want him to get started and be in the boat with me. If you can get a 35#-45#-er, you'd be all the better.

· Hoyt Nation Life Member
15,100 Posts
In MN it is only legal to bowfish for rough fish.

25# is on the low end that i would shoot as long as the shots are close and the fish are in shallow water.
Wow, Park Rapids. I stomped around there in my younger days. When I came out here to Nevada, read up on the laws of fishing and wierd as it may seem...Northern Pike are a rough fish here and can be bowfished. A person wouldn't be caught dead shooting a Northern in Minnesota.

· Registered
283 Posts
You'd need really good shot placement also at 25# if you get anywhere near the head when your shooting straight down it will bounce off. I would get at least 35-40# but if thats what you have it will work for close range fish.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.