Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Season is coming to an end and for me it was the worst season ever thanks to our lovely DNR. Im not sure what can be done to improve the deer herd but, I do know the DNR has screwed up big time over the years and they continue to do so. Its so frustrating and disheartening to see what has happen to deer hunting in this state. Its no wonder why more and more people are giving it up and yet the DNR cant understand why. They are clueless and all they worry about is raising the license fees and giving out bonus tags to generate more money. If they were a CEO of a big company they would of been fired along time ago for the crappy job they've done. Very frustrating

·
Registered
9,490 Posts

Worst year I've seen in nearly 2 decades of hunting. It's been getting worse for at least 15 years.

·
Banned
11,757 Posts
Yeah it was a little tougher this year the numbers are down. I do not blame the DNR for last years brutal winter (only 5 months from last winters last snow fall event till this falls first snow fall event). Or the brutal conditions going up to and during springs fawning season. It is easy to say the DNR sucks at what they do but with any Gov't organization they are better at reacting than being proactive, so expect to see tags disappear next fall.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
We've got land up way up north and this year was surprisingly the best in a long time. Two big mature bucks down, lots of sightings, and great rut activity. Hunted my buddy's land in central MN and saw tons of deer and a nice buck. Couple weeks ago I hunted a metro wma and saw 5 deer in only a few hunts. No complaints from me about this year.

·
Registered
10,584 Posts
DNR is doing a great job of managing deer. The problem is the goals are set very low. Hunters need to demand higher population goals and attend input meetings to push for them. DNR will then manage for those new goals. The public said they wanted 25% lower deer numbers back in 2005 and that is what the DNR has done. And we hunters pulled the trigger to get there (helped by winters and wolves). Getting on a public forum isn't probably going to make a difference. You need to contact your local DNR wildlife manager and complain.

·
Registered
404 Posts
They need to go back to doe permits. When they had that there was deer around. The last few years has slowly been getting worse

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
There are some excellent discussions happening on the qdma forums regarding the MN deer herd right now. It goes much more in depth than simply blaming the DNR. Feel free to read up and get up to speed on the handling of the herd and how dpsm numbers are calculated.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Blame the DNR all you want but the hunters have all the right to control numbers in there area...Pool the neighborhood together and make a difference. This may be easier said than done but it takes time, I have been involved with many land management projects. I don't totally disagree with you as I hunt in 4 different areas(All very different) . I do feel we need to do some feeding this year or this winter could really take its toll. The thing about MN is that we have such a diverse state. From the North to the South. I don't no the right answer but feel the hunters need to come together in an area.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Every state has complaints about DNR, get over it. A tough season is a tough season, next year will be worse if this brutal cold lasts. I thought I saw that overall statewide cold snap worst since the 70s. Deer are burning calories keeping warm. I think the SE APR is working well in MN but hard to please every one obsiously. There are lots of greenhorns that also buy license and simply don't care as much as you do.... which is bad but fact.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
I have lived here for 25 years and rarely hunt deer, or for that matter anything in this state.
My deer hunting is the metro cull types of hunts and I didn't get drawn this year.
Bought several other states licenses, but none here.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
I was watching Deer and Deer Hunting the other day and they brought up a great thing to discuss. Minnesota hunters shoot pretty much anything with antlers. With gun season during the rut, it really sways our buck to doe ratio so we are very doe heavy. Now we have all kinds of does to be bred in the fall. These small number of bucks are chasing around trying to breed does when in estrous. There isn't much competition but, the problem arises when a doe is not bred (due to a low number of bucks). Now this does cycles into estrous a month later. Bucks again chase after her trying to breed. If these does are not bred promptly, they will cycle again in a month. This is now into January and the bucks are still trying to breed all the does when, with a solid buck to doe ratio, it should have been done already. The extra energy weakens the bucks and also makes for a late drop on fawns in the spring. It is just a bad cycle all around.

With that said, I would like to see Minnesota have sex specific tags. For example, if you want a buck tag, you are going to pay for it and it will be the highest priced tag. Doe tags will be much less. Or, they could offer an either sex tag. This would hopefully deter the guys shooting small bucks to buy doe tags or either sex tags instead of taking a forkie just for meat.

·
NAASP
14,539 Posts
Yes the majority of all deer hunters shoot brown and down.

But if they all try to fill the allowed tags you got a problem.

The hunters are not solely incharge of how many tags are offered.

·
Registered
15,801 Posts
First time I can remember not shooting a single deer at the farm in central Mn...I passed on a few opportunities...but the others just weren't seeing the deer.

Not sure I blame the DNR, my area is a definite...brown its down area...the gun hunters shot any and everything around there.

I passed on a little fork buck the weekend before gun season...sure enough neighbor shot him opening morning! Really a fork opening morning!

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
ruff
It is things like shooting a fork that hurt our herd. If you are going to take a forkie, why not just shoot a doe. Keep the ratio in better balance that way.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I had a really good year. Saw and passed on many does and bucks. Had a good opportunity on a nice buck but couldn't close the deal. Got one doe with a bow and another with a muzzleloader.

·
Registered
80 Posts
First time I can remember not shooting a single deer at the farm in central Mn...I passed on a few opportunities...but the others just weren't seeing the deer.

Not sure I blame the DNR, my area is a definite...brown its down area...the gun hunters shot any and everything around there.

I passed on a little fork buck the weekend before gun season...sure enough neighbor shot him opening morning! Really a fork opening morning!
I will agree that one shouldn't put the entire blame on the DNR as its a cultural issue too. A lot of Minnesota hunters abide by the brown it's down mentality and if you eat it and need it I don't care to a point, however if you're a big game manager in MN when you offer liberal game limits for years you're also aware that's going to happen. Offer excessive tags in MN and people will shoot what they are allowed. Many people shot every deer they could during the nearly statewide intensive or management harvest seasons. At least in northern MN. They relied on the experts saying it will reduce the herd but not dramatically. Well it did, I don't think they accurately projected future herd numbers at the time because they didn't predict for the increased predator numbers and harsh winters that followed. Remember we were in the period of mild winters. The wolves in my area, other predator numbers, the weather, the liberal limits, the MN DNR, and us as hunters all played a role. There are also vast differences between southern, central, and northern MN so it's tough to generalize for the entire state. I think Northern MN management goals of lower numbers were exceeded greatly and I for one don't want my sons (when they are old enough to hunt) have to sit 2 seasons to SEE a deer and that's how bad it is in some areas up here. Tough to recruit young hunters that way.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I saw a lot of deer the last few years. The dnr only lets us have one tag in our area. Seeing more deer in town then ever before
Pinsky, speak for yourself sir... Stone isn't that big unless your hunting RL's... I know I have seen the least amount in 10 years.. It doesn't help when certain Stoners are being given up to 75 depravation tags as well as Crop damage tags in early September to use and kill by any means. Rumor calls it the slaughter farm..:cry:

1 - 20 of 88 Posts