Archery Talk Forum banner

Minnesota Hunters

907 Views 17 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  ruffme
Are you seeing any signs of the rut yet? I was thinking about taking a buddy to one of my spots this weekend, and was wondering if I should try a decoy yet?

The spot is located on the edge of a big field and the deer have been coming in the field off the property I can hunt and just heading north. Was thinking a decoy might bring them in for a look.

Your thoughts...............
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Ya hey
1,437 Posts
I'm hunting up by Taylor's Falls. I've been seeing a fair number of 1.5 yo bucks mixed in with groups of does the last week and have observed no funny business. Seems like it's usually the youngsters that jump the gun on the rut so I think we've got a bit yet.

· Registered
6,867 Posts
I'm hunting up by Taylor's Falls. I've been seeing a fair number of 1.5 yo bucks mixed in with groups of does the last week and have observed no funny business. Seems like it's usually the youngsters that jump the gun on the rut so I think we've got a bit yet.
Howdy neighbor, I'm up in Shafer

· Registered
1,099 Posts
I've been told by my relatives that live near our property in Staples that bucks are starting to scrape and rub. I'm heading down this weekend and planning on bringing some calls. I'll keep everyone posted. And maybe I'll load the pictures from the game cam.

· Trophy Meat Hunter
11,366 Posts
I found the first scrape of the year last Sunday.

· NAASP
16,080 Posts
heard the same

I've been told by my relatives that live near our property in Staples that bucks are starting to scrape and rub. I'm heading down this weekend and planning on bringing some calls. I'll keep everyone posted. And maybe I'll load the pictures from the game cam.
I would go ahead and use a decoy.

You may want to use a buck. The groups should be splitting up and setting territories. If not they will be quite soon.

Attract a buck because of territory pre-rut.

· Registered
212 Posts
I am hunting Kilkenny, Mn. area way south of you guys, off hwy 13 (east of it) if you check the map, and just started see movement the last couple of days. Here are some pixs from my new scoutgaurd sg550 from www.wildviewweb.com. Check it out its a Mn. Co.

Attachments

· Registered
580 Posts
i've been seeing scrapes and rubs for two weeks around the little falls area and a month ago i saw two deer a 8 and a 4 fighting.. i put up a scrape dripper and tomorrow i will hopfully harvest a dandy on one of the properties.

· Registered
13,924 Posts
Haven't been up hunting in a couple weeks (north of Little Falls), but my dad just got back and he has been seeing almost nothing. A couple little ones during mid day, but most are not coming out till well after dark. Hopefully this cooler weather will change things.

· Registered
5,479 Posts
We're seeing some younger bucks sparring and a few actually fighting fairly hard here in Eastern ND. I'm right on the border.

I shot my buck on October 4th and he was following right behind a doe. Not chasing and not really smelling like he was rutting but he was definitely following her.

· Registered
2,841 Posts
I live right on the border with Minnesota and we haven't yet seen signs of the rut. If anything the deer seemed to have gone nocturnal already that didn't happen until after the boys in orange ran them around for a few weeks.

· Registered
2,214 Posts
NO rut sign here yet either in east central MN. Then again there isn't hardly any deer sign period where I hunt but, things should start heating up in the next week or two. I hope the weather doesn't warm up in the next few weeks either since it's been a warm fall so far I think.

· Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think I will give the decoy a try and see what happens. I can shoot a ways, so even if I set them to get somewhat close to take a look I might be able to get a shot. I will keep you posted!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.