Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2 weeks ago I killed this 5 point Bull Elk with a miraculours shot from 30 yards away, quartering away, through the shoulder bone. (My shot went to the right due to branch deflection) I must have hit an artery because the blood trail was amazing. I also hit a little lung some how. When I look at the pics I realize how blessed I am to have found Him. Thanks to the Lord.

Here is a couple pics to show this

Here is a pic of when I shot through the other shoulder bone that I brought back to camp. It almost went into my target as far as it usually does w/o the bone. I'm not sure how scared I should be of hitting it any more.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Now thats penetration through an Elks shoulder bone.You are blessed,Congratulations.

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
It is always nice to have luck on your side, but it is still best to avoid the shoulder bone if you can:)

Congrats on your Elk:)

·
Banned
2,045 Posts
Nice

What is your setup?

Arrow weight(total)?
Broadhead/
Speed of your bow?

Thx I am building database of arrowed game fond and not fond. Looking for pattterns to help us out.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
i shot through the far side shoulder bone of my elk a few weeks ago, after passing through both lungs. it surpised me to! arrow shot compleatly thorugh it.

here is my set up

pse vengeance, 70 lbs
blackmax arrows with razorcap broad heads totaling 435grains

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
inter loc

I shot inter loc 100 grain broadheads and one blade broke in the bone. I haven't weighed my arrows but they are light.

·
Registered Elker
7,715 Posts
2 years ago I had penetration through both blades. Although the head barely made it through the second. Still, I worry about hitting it. If you hit in the thickest part then your arrow will stop. Also, arrow deflection could be bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts