Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this is one of those "believe it or not". What I thought was hit was a miss. I watched the bull walk off. Stop, turn around and come back the pond I have my tree stand. He walked into the pond to drink coughed, stumbled and died in the pond.

I went back to camp to get help to drag him out of the pond. After we got him on dry land and skinned we found put that I had misjudged the distance and shot over his back. He had been gored in a fight and I was in the right place at the right time. I am embarrassed at miss judging of the distance, but am glad that the animal was not wasted.

I almost didn’t set the stand that night. We normally hunt in the mornings and set stands at night. I was not going to go to the stand that night, but my son talked me into it. I don’t have the pictures yet, but this was one ugly rack. He had 6 points on one side and 2 on the other. He had broken off the right side just above the eye guards. This may have been the reason he was gored on the right of his neck. I have hunted for 59 years and thought I had seem and experience just about all there is, but this just proves that anything can happen if you live long enough.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Wow, what an experience. Take'em how you can gettum I guess. Congrats on thr freezer full of meat. Cant wait to see the pics of "ugly horn".

·
Registered
196 Posts
Oh, the infamous "phantom" arrow shot :)

Wow, that must have really surprised the heck out of you.

If you read my post on my miss, you'll see I wasn't as lucky. Maybe I should hunt with a club or a knife....

·
Registered
23 Posts
I guess it doesnt matter... but what really killed him? The gore? The drink? Combo?

I shot a bull this year in the silves.. both lungs (high) and the sucker ran over a mile on the GPS. Seems like I could have filled up 2 five gallon buckets of blood!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The gore went thru his wind pipe. When he drank the water filled his lungs. I was there at the right time. I am embarrassed by the poor shot, but am glad he wasn’t wasted.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Congrats on being in the right place at the right time. Besides this makes a better story, you can say things like "my bow kills by just getting close".
Enjoy the steaks!

ORrogue

1 - 8 of 8 Posts