Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I know that some of you here think that it is extremely dangerous to walk/stalk with an arrow nocked - however I learned a lesson on Saturday Evening.

It was getting close to sunset. A buddy and I noticed 4 deer on the ridge just across from us, and this was our last opportunity to bag a deer that night. So, we formulated our plan and started hiking toward the deer. I headed down into the valley keeping my head down and trying to be as inconspicuous as possible. As I headed down into the valley I was getting close to the treeline in the valley and I kept peeking up to keep an eye on where the deer were. It was during one of those peeks that I noticed a nice muley 60 yards from me just watching me. Unfortunately I had been walking without an arrow nocked, and I wasn't ready at all. I immediately stooped down pulled out my rangefinder and ranged him at 60 yards. I pulled an arrow and nocked it, and just about the time I was ready that deer got nervous and fled the scene.

The lesson I learned is that I will be prepared next time. I will walk/stalk/hike with an arrow nocked so I am prepared if that ever happens again.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yeah, stalking with an arrow nocked is dangerous.
If you keep your presence of mind about you, you'll be fine.
Next time, you wont miss the opportu ity!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts