Archery Talk Forum banner

Missed...

496 Views 5 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  greimer
I missed a doe high and then took a practice shot and it was high also. I moved my sight but why would it be different from the ground to the treestand? Never had this pronlem... I have hunted for 20 years

Anybody had this happen?
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3,609 Posts
I missed a doe high and then took a practice shot and it was high also. I moved my sight but why would it be different from the ground to the treestand? Never had this pronlem... I have hunted for 20 years

Anybody had this happen?
Did you forget to bend at the waist to aim. If you lower your arm to aim you will hit high every time. Another cause is a very steep angle shot, you will gain 5 and sometimes even 10yds.

· Registered
1,821 Posts
Make sure you bend at the waist, it is a MUST for hunting out of treestands. Your probally dropped your bow arm, which will make you hit hight. It happens, beleive me. :tongue: Don't get down about it, just try a couple practice shots somewhere from an elevated position and then try bending at the waist. Best of luck!

· Registered
3,001 Posts
Because when yor elevated you have to take into count the angle. From the base of the tree it might be say 30yds and from your stand at that angle it's more like a 25yd shot. It's trig. If you had an ARC range finder you would be able to play with it and see what I mean. Even thow you are shooting a downward angle you still have rise in your arrow. It's all ways a constant. plus like others have said. You have to bend at the waist to.

· Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I forgot to say it was a 40 yard shot... I have missed do to the bend at the waist but at 40 it shouldn't cause that much difference. I moved my sight up a little and took 2 shots at 20 and 30 and was right on.
Maybe my head got in the way again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.