Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I miss Fred Trost and his old Practical Sportsman show in Michigan Public TV. Sure, he had his downfalls but nobody is standing up for the practical sportsman anymore. He supported the average meat hunter, loved shooting does and spikes, supported all methods and forms of hunting and wanted to look out for the sportsman in everything. I don't like how everyone today seems to support increases in license fees (doe tags went up 50% this year - yuck!), everyone's supporting restrictions on buck sizes and baiting bans. I am sure Fred would have spoken up for the simple, broke, meat hunters like me. No one has filled his shoes and that is too bad. Miss ya' Fred.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
I agree with your observations on the path hunting is taking now and the negative effect the antler craze is having. As for Fred, we will have to agree to disagree.
Dan

·
Banned
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fred

Like I said, I had my issues with Fred too. I expect that most people who watched him had something small or big they disagreed with him on. I just miss the practical way he supported simple, poor, meat hunters.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I agree Fred could be a little different but I remember watching him for years. Bob Gardner and all of them. It was very surprising to find out he past on when he did.

One things fo sho....he wasn't afraid of the MDNR

·
Banned
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree Fred could be a little different but I remember watching him for years. Bob Gardner and all of them. It was very surprising to find out he past on when he did.

One things fo sho....he wasn't afraid of the MDNR
He wasn't afraid of much - Buck Stop lure company for example.

·
Banned
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thursday nights

When I was a kid in high school I looked forward to Thursday nights at 8 PM more than any other night of the week. Call me a hunting geek but I loved watching Michigan Outdoors with Fred and Bob Gardner. Great show. Practical sportsman wasn't quite the same as Michigan Outdoors and the new Michigan Out-of-doors isn't quite it either. Oh for the old days!:)

·
Registered
771 Posts
fred

I wish uncle Ted would start a local show like that. Its not like he needs the money and has to get his show on Versus or the outdoor channel. I grew up watching Fred Trost and tried to never miss a show even though they werent the best they were good because it was local. I live right by the TV station maybe I should knock on the door!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
spoke what was on his mind!!!!!

I to miss his show agree disagree he was fun to watch!!!!! No pope and young's just the real deal!

·
Banned
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Uncle Ted

When Fred Trost shut the show down a few years back there was talk that Uncle Ted would fill that time slot. I was disappointed that it never happened. I like him a lot (wish he would run for governor or president). He stands for the poor meat hunter too.

·
Banned
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Real deal

Fred was the real deal. Shot spikes, sometimes took a poor shot on a deer but still aired it, shot does and even spilled chili over his truck floor (that was hilarious).

·
Registered
524 Posts
I remember the shows well. Fred was a weekly favorite of mine as well. A good ole boy indeed

·
Registered
455 Posts
When I was a kid in high school I looked forward to Thursday nights at 8 PM more than any other night of the week. Call me a hunting geek but I loved watching Michigan Outdoors with Fred and Bob Gardner. Great show. Practical sportsman wasn't quite the same as Michigan Outdoors and the new Michigan Out-of-doors isn't quite it either. Oh for the old days!:)
Me too....Used to love Big Buck Night

·
Banned
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
anyone else

Anyone else miss ole' Fred.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I miss his shows every Thursday night too. Not to mention his big buck night episodes too when he allowed the hunters re-tell their successs in their own words. Wonder why his son never took off with the show after Fred died too since he was a regular on it towards the end.

·
Banned
1,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
show

If you remember, Fred shut the show down before he died. So there was no running show for his son Zach to take over. I met Zach & his wife once. Seemed like a real nice family.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I to grew up watching Michigan Out of Doors with Fred and Bob Gardner. Loved watching them when I was young....I was on the Practical Sportsman's Big Buck Night way back in 93 or 94 and Fred left a bad taste in my mouth after meeting him I lost alot of respect for the man.

That being said I was not aware he had passed on....may he rest in peace.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have to say, I was lucky enough to share a duck blind with Fred in 2000. I was the owner of Ducks R Us Waterfowl Guides at the time. he shot 10 1/2 hours of digital media with us that day, even included the part after the morning hunt when his motor home had a flat on the show that week.
I was hosting Karaoke at a local bar and came home at 2:30 AM to Fred's RV in the driveway. (I was expecting him) I woke Fred and Tim Ferrigan with fresh coffee at 4 am, he was cheerful and kind. we had a great time in the blind, and showed him a couple of styles of duck hunting we do like pond jumping at mid day. the highlight of the day was Fred walking backwards down a horse trail on state land, filming my buddy and I walking with the dog into a pond we regularly jump. we stopped as a huge mud puddle was right in front of us, Fred didn't. He walked his way into a foot of water, the funny part was when the camera went from my buddy and I down to his feet and back up. He said that morning that he wanted to start a bloopers reel, and he got his wish...himself being the first candidate.
We first met Fred at his outdoor fair at LCSA. We had a booth set up and had a boat rig with decoys on one side, and a dry land goose layout rig on the other. My new semiauto shotgun was in the layout blind, and he came by and asked me to borrow it for his shooting demo. (this was saturday) Sunday afternoon came and with it, the end of the Fair...Still no Fred, and no shotgun. I walked up to the skeet range to find Fred, Rob Trott and Tim Ferrigan with a third of a 5 gal bucket full of shells, and a pile of hulls a foot deep. they were racing to see who could hit the bird the fastest as it came off the launcher. the new gun that was so tight i thought it would be a pain to break in, was nice and smooth when he got done.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
I remember watching Fred when I was a younger adult. I watched his show on scents. I grew up watching Mort Neff.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts