Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am shooting an '05 Hoyt Vipertec at 68# with a release on a string loop, a Drop Zone rest, Easton Axis and Epic arrows 400's cut to 27" with 100 gr. field points at a 28" draw length.

I notice as I back up and sight in my pins, if I miss the mark, it's always to the right. This seems to be a little more evident at the longer distances.
In fact, last evening I shot at varying distances from 25 to 60 yards when the light was low enough that I couldn't see where my arrows were in the all white face of my Block target. I shot six arrows at the varying distances then walked up to collect all six. I was suprised to find them all in a 4" area just 4" from the center bullseye.

Is this a form issue? Flinch? Drawlength? Spine?
This is not a consistent missing problem, but when I do miss it's almost always right (and it may also be a little high/low).
Can you help me get it fixed?

·
Banned
4,304 Posts
Move your rest to the left slightly. Shoot a group at 20 yds. Move back to 40 yds and do the same, using the same pin. Don't worry about hitting low. By moving the rest in the direction the arrows need to go, the groups will come together horizontally, as you move back.
You should also make sure your sight is level. If it's off, groups can move left or right.

·
Banned
55 Posts
Welcome to my world. I am just guessing for you but I know the source of my problem. When I miss it is generally at 2 oclock. I have worked out what I do wrong. I misalign my scope in my peep. This is more evident at longer distances as you tend to anchor fractionally lower due to geometries and it makes the problem worse. It cost me a can of coke on the weekend as I got done by 7 because of it. Focus on always putting the left side of your scope hard against the left of your peep and (if you have the same problem as me) it will go. If you shoot pins, work some consistent way of aiming. These short ATA bows (less than 42) make it very hard to get a decent anchor without putting your face all over the arrow. Hope this is your problem as it is easy fixed with a bit of discipline.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Walk Back

2 Thought:

1) Make sure your peep is rotating all the way around. When you look into it if it is not clear all the way around then it will throw your shots of to one side or the other.

2) I would try Walk Back tuning. I had a simular situation and the walk back cleared it up. You can check out a multi page AT post expaining and proving the effectiveness of this tuning method Walkback link . Read the link and it will make sense why you are missing right and how to get it cleared up in about 30 min of shooting.

Good luck!!!

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys,
I'll do a little tinkering this evening and see if I can work the kinks out!

·
Registered
345 Posts
How much left we talking about. If you hit the left side of the X at 20 yds then at 40 yrds you'll be 1" to the left. Try sighting in on a vertical line. This might be some of your problem. Sometimes people don't shoot the same at 20 as they do at 40 because they are aiming more or tring harder to make the perfect shot. You might be grabing your release deeper changing your anchor point oh so slightly. If your getting good arrow flight the problem is more than likely you and not your equipement.
Hope this is useful, Andy Hunnell

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
There is more forgiveness in your sight settings at 20 yards versus 40. Try setting your sight while at 40 yards and then go back to 20. I have found that I can sight in at 20 yards and when I shoot longer yardages I will have some left or right issues. If I reset them at the longer yardage and then move back to 20 yards, I will still be in the bull. Also some people subconsciencely uncover the spot with their pin. This could be part of your problem. Another thought is when you first start shooting, and are strong, the tendency is too shoot left. As you wear down the tendency is too shoot right. Last but not least............. If you punch the trigger or consciencely trigger your bow you may collapse during your shot. Knowing exactly when your bow is going too go off is a big no no. If you have access to an answer release, try it. You will be shocked at your bodies reaction to a shot not going off. If you dont have access to an answer, have a friend pull your trigger while you aim so you have no idea when your shot is going off. This gives you the proper feel of a shot going off correctly.

·
Registered
199 Posts
on a incline

I've found that if I am on on a slight incline veering to the right or left that that is the side I will shoot to beyond 30 yards

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow,
These are some great replies! I moved my rest a little to the left tonight for my first tweak. That seems to have solved the problem. I had just paper tuned my rig last weekend and was getting good bullet holes, but this slight move of center shot has made all the difference in the world.
Of interest though, as boojo35 suggested it may have been accentuated by fatigue and punching the trigger. I was quite fatigued on the last 6 or so shots last evening and I know I have been guilty of punching at times. Need to work on that suprise release some more!
Thanks to all!! :thumbs_up

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
:tongue: How much ELBOW BEND do you have in that bowarm? IF you are really badly bending the elbow on the bowarm, you will find that you will create problems with left/right (mostly right) misses as the distance increases...because you CANNOT DUPLICATE a larger amount of elbow bend consistently!

Just another thought...since some people think MORE elbow bend is better....the most successful shooters shoot with a SLIGHTLY unlocked elbow..and NOT a severe bend.

field14 :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts