Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started shooting a few weeks ago and have gotten tighter and tigher groups from different ranges. As my groups have gotten tighter, I'm missing more and more to the right.

When I start missing right, I work very hard not to torque the bow but the right misses continue.

However, every so often, I'll put an arrow right where I'm aiming. In 50 shots, I might put 30 to the right and 20 on target. I have never missed left.

I'm using an old bow until my new one is set up and I'm not sure if the sight was ever adjusted. If I nock and arrow and line it up with the string, the sight pins are noticeably left of the string.

Is it safe to move the sight to the right a bit or am I still too inconsistent to start messing with the sight.

Also, should my sight pins be lined up with the string and arrow?

TIA

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
There are several things to check:

Centershot tuning - shoot a couple of bare shafts with the fletched arrows and see what happens.

Stance - your natural stance may be a little more open than you are now. Draw and anchor with your eyes closed. Then look to see where your bow is pointing.

Bow hand tension - easy to torque your bow

Poor alignment - as you pull through your shot you may be pulling off target enough to miss to one side or the other.

Draw length too long or short - results in poor alignment and excess tension

There are a few others including your sight being off, but these will get you started.

Good luck,
Allen

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
A lot of peoples sight pins will be left of the string and the arrow when you try to line them up. If your miss is not that bad I would continue to shoot until all the arrows are hitting close to the same spot. More than likely your form is slightly inconsistent and this is the reason for the slight misses. Once you get your form down then if all the arrows are hitting right then move your sight they might all come back to center when you shore up your form. Good luck to ya...

·
Registered
350 Posts
nice

There are several things to check:

Centershot tuning - shoot a couple of bare shafts with the fletched arrows and see what happens.

Stance - your natural stance may be a little more open than you are now. Draw and anchor with your eyes closed. Then look to see where your bow is pointing.

Bow hand tension - easy to torque your bow

Poor alignment - as you pull through your shot you may be pulling off target enough to miss to one side or the other.

Draw length too long or short - results in poor alignment and excess tension

There are a few others including your sight being off, but these will get you started.

Good luck,
Allen
very imformative. I was thinking maybe 3rd axis might be off a bit, but if it's an old bow and sight probably don't have the adjustment for it.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Don't worry about 3rd axix......nobody heard of it till a couple of year ago. A properly tuned and sighted in bow will hit where you want it. If you are hitting right, move the pin to the right or move the rest to the left. Do a look up of walk back tuning and follow those steps to be sure the arrow rest is set perfect. Then sight in and keep shooting. You will get there for sure.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Pin position

Because you are a new shooter, you may moving your pin off the target. This is assuming you are right handed and shoot horizontal pins. I could never shoot horizontal pins because I would want to move the pin over to see the target spot better. I did this unconsciously because, like you, I would shoot right, but not all the time, and some times a lot and some times a little.
I tried to use a 3 o'clock hold but never could get it consisitent.
This was back before vertical pin sights, so I switched to a crosshair sight which solved my problem (anyone remember the old Phoenix Crosshair sight?) When sights with vertical pin alignment came out I switched to them.
Just something to consider.

·
Vendor
15,839 Posts
IF EVERYTHING was the same shot to shot...and ALL 50 arrows were to the right then you could say it was for sure the pin. But with about half and half...
it could be a combination of your pin and other factors.

But the easiest thing to do is move the pin. Just make note of what mark you were on before you moved it. Or mark it with a sharpie so you can always go back.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Use a heavy black vertical line as an aiming point to determine left or right settings. Concentrate only on the vertical and disregard any horizontal reference points. This will give you your true left/right setting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts