Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what and when fellow Mississippians plant food plots. I planted oats, wheat, and crimson clover last couple of years. Wasnt thrilled with the combo.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think maybe our Acorn crops have been so good they dont need to come out of cover! I gotta try something, though. I thought about a Biologic blend, just to try.

·
Registered
891 Posts
My dad and I have tried just about everything out here on our place....Oats, vetch, cowpeas, I&C peas, corn, chicory, several different clovers, Biologic, Tecomate mixes, the whole nine yards....Best luck we have had is with the "game mix" in the camo bag that you can get at any feedstore or Wal Mart in MS. $8 for 50#, and the deer love it....All we've used (besides corn) for the last 4 seasons. We do usually mix in some extra oats with it, as they deer around these parts seem to crave them....We plant around 20-30 acres of corn around the first of June, and leave it standing. I think the ***** get more of it than the deer do though.

It's a fact that some stuff grows better than others in different soils, but in our experience, you don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get a good food plot. Since we went with the game mix, we plant it the first week of September. If it gets a couple of good rains on it, the deer are usually hammering it by Oct.1.

·
Registered
518 Posts
If you have the typical red clay soil it usually takes a LOT of lime to get good production from food plots. A soil sample is a good idea. If you have red dirt in never hurts to put some lime down. We usually plant game mix from the coop. Mostly wheat, oats and rye grass. But we have pretty good soil(old plantation land). By not having luck do you mean with growing the plots or getting deer to come to them?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ive been planting plots in Marengo Co. {SW AL.} for 15 years. Best combo Ive found is Buck Forage oats, wheat, elbon rye and Austrian Peas, lightly overseeded with a giant white clover. I usually shy away from any seed blend in a fancy bag with a deer on it, but the Buck Forage Oats flat out draw in the deer. You have to make sure your fertilizer and soil ph is correct and you prep your seedbed properly no matter what you put in the ground. We planted around Labor day for years, but have moved our planting dates back several weeks the past 3 seasons due to drought. We didnt plant last season till the first weekend in Oct and had some killer food plots once they got wet!

·
Registered
449 Posts
My plots in south Mississippi have done well.But as stated earlyer you need to lime alot.Due to the soil been acidic.I have had good luck with Buck Forage Oats & Buckbuster seed blend. And I have learned not to plant till the secound week of Oct.Due to the drought and I never plant without using Grow Coat On my seed Good Luck to all CASH:darkbeer:

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I don't like counting on clover for the fall if planted in the fall. I like to plant it in the fall but it is because it starts to really get going and provides good food for spring and summer. That is just what happened to me. I know some say that brassicas is only an good source after a frost, well last year we planted it and it got hammered from the get go. I plan on planting more this year. We will have a mixture of different plots, Oats and peas together, clover and Brassicas. I will again fertilize. We put the lime out last week. Our property is hardwood so we will have mast crop as well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.