Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess a few I have made are as follows;

1. Hitting the shoulder blade on an elk.

2. Not waiting long enough after a hit

3. Not having my bow tuned/sighted in until 10 pm prior to the season and then still no good.

4. Cheap arrows

What are some mistakes you wont make this year?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Shoot at an animal that has you pegged (luckily it was a clean miss for me)

Set up to call an elk on the edge of an open park. They always seem to hang up about 70 yards out, and won't come no closer cus they can't see the elk thats making all the noise. Believe it or not I was stupid enough to try this 3 times last year,, even though I new better.

Only bring 1 pair of boots on a week long hunt.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Always check to see where the ears are pointed before shooting. Pointed away from me is usually the best :rolleyes: .

·
Registered
611 Posts
Knowing myself like I do, I'm sure I'll screw something up. If it was easy and we didn't make mistakes would we continue to hunt? It sure is good to learn from making some of those though.

I took a steap quartering away shot last year, held right behind the last rib, treestand shot maybe 20 yards, nothing between the deer and I but air. The arrow appeared to hit exactly where I aimed, but instead of comming out the front of the deers' chest like I expected the arrow appeared to turn on impact and get nothing but guts. Deer only went about 40 yards and laid down, stayed there for close to four hours when it started to get dark so I got down and bumped the deer. It went into a swap with standing water everywhere and I lost it. :( Can't stand wounding animals, but it does happen.

No shots like that this year!

It's even better when we can learn from each others mistakes and not have to screw it up on our own!!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Not to shoot through my blind's wall.

Last year when I lined up a shot on a nice doe. I didn't have the window all the way down. My sites where clear of the bottom part of the window, but my arrow was not. Shot right through the side of the blind. The arrow still hit the doe, but took some of the punch out of the hit. She made it 100 yards, and laid down. My first deer with a bow.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Trying to recover deer to fast . If they don't go down within 100 yds. , I will give them more time than I thought they needed ! I'll take my chances with the coyotes and the other "hunters" before i push any more deer .

·
Premium Member
17,587 Posts
Mistakes

If I drop my bow from the treestand again on opening day, I will fully check it out when I get back to the truck or at home. This happened last year with my old bow and I took a few shot under very windy conditions and hit pretty close to the mark. Forty-five days later I took 3 shots in one morning and missed all three! All my arrows flew left!

I won't hesitate to put a little more pressure on a monster buck if I know he is in the area. If you wait too long, he may wonder away and you won't have a chance.

I won't hunt a good stand in a bad wind.

John

·
Registered
998 Posts
me to ISCORE4U, be a little more patient before tracking. One more thing, even though it is not a mistake, quit putting so much emphasis on paper tuning. There have been times when I was grouping my broadhead arrows fine and decided to paper tune to see how my arrows were flying and ended up frustrated because I could not get that "perfect" bullet hole. No more, if I'm grouping well and I can not physically see erratic arrow flight, I leave the paper alone from now on...... :teeth:

·
Registered
419 Posts
not gettin caught up in the moment, 2 years ago while hunting on the ground i spotted a buck coming in which happened to be a 150"+ 10pt and i got so caught up in the moment that he was coming in that i never got ready for the shot, well he got to a whopping 7 yards away and i still was just sittin there with my bow and never shot, when i finally tried to move for a shot he saw me turned around and trotted away waving his white tail at me

also i will not rush shots i will take my time picking a spot the 2 deer i have missed i seriously drew the bow looked at the sight it was behind the shoulder and shot, had to be like 2 seconds. not takin into consideration if i was moving at all, this year i will take my time settle my pin and smoothly release.

·
DefiantShooter
10,948 Posts
Hmmmmm!

Not taking a buddy with me........I'm finding it much more fun to share a hunt with a friend........

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
1. Don't get into a tree that I've not scouted out during daylight hours.
2. Don't put any more items on my bow than necessary.
3. If you take your release off, put it on the bow.
4. You can't wear it, if you don't take it with you. You don't have to wear it going in, but if you don't take it you can't put it on later. (clothes: over dressing/ underdressing)
5. Don't forget the flashlight....with fresh batteries.

There are millions of others that experience teaches us along the way. :)

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

·
DefiantShooter
10,948 Posts
Lmao!!!

That was good..........

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
duggaboy said:
Marriage!
I did that this year!!! However, it is one of the best things I could have done! :teeth:

Back to the question at hand. Hunt a good stand, without the perfect wind for it! :(

·
Registered
8,821 Posts
Join this dang site!

All I'm thinking about year round now has been hunting and foam. That may solve the marriage situation for me....

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Shooting slick trick broadheads just to see if they do indeed shoot where your fieldpoints line up. They do and do not do well when they hit each other at 250 fps.

Paul

1 - 20 of 38 Posts