Archery Talk Forum banner
  • Enter in this new Contest Sponsored by Walmart for your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

341 - 360 of 422 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
I also think that the distance between the anther burrs (skull width) is a telltale sign as well.
Larry Huffman who owns the Legendary Whitetail Collection of 84 world class bucks including the Hole in the Horn, Breen buck etc is the one who made this observation. Larry measured the distance between the burrs in his collection. The widest distance was 3.25”. In contrast the Rompola buck has 4.75” between antler burrs......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Smada962

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Good observation And I see what you are talking about. The Rampola rack also come out of the skull and pretty much grew horizontal to the ground for several inches....no upward growth or swoop in the beams until a good 10” out of the skull. Awkward whitetail antler growth pattern.
I knew folks very high profile in the outdoor industry around the time this deer was taken they had nothing to gain by it being real and said with great certainty that it was.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I agree the main beams are quite unique....I don’t know if I think they were altered though because Seems like the browtines line up pretty well. I can’t imagine a scenario where you could tweak the main beams l to improve the score dramatically without altering the brow tines to an unnatural state. At best he’d get 2” of spread by splitting the skull plate and filling the gap. Wouldn’t surprise me if a new WR emerged, heck it’s bound to happen eventually....

·
Registered
456 Posts
I knew folks very high profile in the outdoor industry around the time this deer was taken they had nothing to gain by it being real and said with great certainty that it was.
Who? I’ve heard people make this claim many times but have never seen any reputable names put to it or actual quotes, so I’d be curious to know.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Who? I’ve heard people make this claim many times but have never seen any reputable names put to it or actual quotes, so I’d be curious to know.
Wade Nolan who has since passed away outdoor writer / video producer. Whitetail University Quest Productions..etc…..

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
The deer was scored by Commemorative Bucks of Michigan and Boone and Crocket scorers. None of the people involved in scoring the deer had any issues. The deer was also inspected by MDNR. I also know high profile outdoorsman that seen the deer and back the legitimacy of the deer.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Wade Nolan who has since passed away outdoor writer / video producer. Whitetail University Quest Productions..etc…..
Convenient that a dead guy would vouch for it.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
The Rampola buck has an altered rack. Too many things don’t add up.

1 X-ray would settle the debate. No X-ray then the buck is fake news.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I literally never heard of this man or buck until today. Researched around and I think the only thing that is 100% certain is that he had a number of opportunities to prove the deer and pushed those away with both hands. That's not the same as saying it's for sure faked but in legal parlance I would call "reasonable doubt."

And now that it's been burned to ash in a fire (?), it just all seems very ... sad.

·
Registered
41,303 Posts
The deer was scored by Commemorative Bucks of Michigan and Boone and Crocket scorers. None of the people involved in scoring the deer had any issues. The deer was also inspected by MDNR. I also know high profile outdoorsman that seen the deer and back the legitimacy of the deer.
And none of those scorers saw that rack with just a skull plate. Mitch was almost finished mounting it, right? They saw that rack on a form with bindo on it, not just a clean skull plate.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I will say though... Mitch’s antler fabricating skills were much better than his actual taxidermy skills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Wisconsin Bowhunter
1,578 Posts
Reactions: 168p&y
341 - 360 of 422 Posts