Archery Talk Forum banner
  • Enter in this new Contest Sponsored by Walmart for your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

361 - 380 of 422 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Sasquatch/Bigfoot believers
UFO/Martian believers
Rompola Buck believers

Not necessarily in that order......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Team #2-Bow Brothers
1,800 Posts
Who? I’ve heard people make this claim many times but have never seen any reputable names put to it or actual quotes, so I’d be curious to know.
I have 2 friends that both saw and handled the buck the night Mitch shot it. I'm not on here to debate whether or not the buck is legit but I can tell you that my friends both said there's no way the rack was screwed on to the head as they were holding it and checking it out. As has been stated before, there were others at Mitch's house that night as well. Had I not shot my own deer I would have probably been able to see it too, since I drive by his house everyday to go home. I would love to say with certainty that the buck was legit but I too have my doubts. Mitch has always been a friendly guy that would invite you in to have coffee and talk deer but he definitely has been laying low ever since all the controversy over this buck. It was amazing the bucks he has mounted in his house and all the pictures of bucks he has taken and pictures of bucks he had scored on the wall in his kitchen. I went to school with his oldest son and I remember our science teacher would ask Kevin if his dad had shot any good deer lately and we would spend half the class hour talking about deer!

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Ones that aren't dead, and can actually talk about it today?
Personally no clue and don’t care if it’s real I’m just sharing I knew folks close to the source with no real skin in the game that actually saw the deer and said it was real. You can use the fact that he has since passed to discredit but even if he had not he wouldn’t be on AT bickering or trying to prove his honor to you I promise.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have 2 friends that both saw and handled the buck the night Mitch shot it. I'm not on here to debate whether or not the buck is legit but I can tell you that my friends both said there's no way the rack was screwed on to the head as they were holding it and checking it out. As has been stated before, there were others at Mitch's house that night as well. Had I not shot my own deer I would have probably been able to see it too, since I drive by his house everyday to go home. I would love to say with certainty that the buck was legit but I too have my doubts. Mitch has always been a friendly guy that would invite you in to have coffee and talk deer but he definitely has been laying low ever since all the controversy over this buck. It was amazing the bucks he has mounted in his house and all the pictures of bucks he has taken and pictures of bucks he had scored on the wall in his kitchen. I went to school with his oldest son and I remember our science teacher would ask Kevin if his dad had shot any good deer lately and we would spend half the class hour talking about deer!
Once again though these are just random people that none of us know and second hand stories. Anyone can have a "buddy" or "friend of a friend" or coworker with a story or opinion. Heck I probably hear a couple dozen new cougar stories every year here in SW MI and I can promise you 99.9% of them (or 100%) are bogus.

Just out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on the fact that this buck was SO much bigger than anything that has ever been harvested or even seen in that part of the state? That part still makes the least sense of anything to me. I'm sure Mitch is a great hunter, but was/is he so great that he's able to harvest absolute genetic freaks that dwarf anything that area has ever been able to produce?

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
I never dived all that deep into this.I get the contoversey.However,What is supposedly fake about the deer?Is it supposedly altered or is supposedly a farm raised deer?

·
Team #2-Bow Brothers
1,800 Posts
Once again though these are just random people that none of us know and second hand stories. Anyone can have a "buddy" or "friend of a friend" or coworker with a story or opinion. Heck I probably hear a couple dozen new cougar stories every year here in SW MI and I can promise you 99.9% of them (or 100%) are bogus.

Just out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on the fact that this buck was SO much bigger than anything that has ever been harvested or even seen in that part of the state? That part still makes the least sense of anything to me. I'm sure Mitch is a great hunter, but was/is he so great that he's able to harvest absolute genetic freaks that dwarf anything that area has ever been able to produce?
I'm typing this as I work so not much time to elaborate, but these are more than just friends of a friend, in fact, one of these friends' mom was dating Mitch at the time. Again, this is why I hesitate to even mention this stuff because it has been debated for so long, my only point was, yes, there are still living people that have handled this deer. That doesn't mean it wasn't a pen raised deer, my only point is that MY FRIENDS, that handled the deer, will tell you it was not screwed onto the head. And yes, the thing that doesn't add up the most to me is the size of that buck for our area of the state, but I guess that could be said for any state. Just giving you guys first hand facts that I know are true and not hearsay. Take it for what it's worth.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'm typing this as I work so not much time to elaborate, but these are more than just friends of a friend, in fact, one of these friends' mom was dating Mitch at the time. Again, this is why I hesitate to even mention this stuff because it has been debated for so long, my only point was, yes, there are still living people that have handled this deer. That doesn't mean it wasn't a pen raised deer, my only point is that MY FRIENDS, that handled the deer, will tell you it was not screwed onto the head. And yes, the thing that doesn't add up the most to me is the size of that buck for our area of the state, but I guess that could be said for any state. Just giving you guys first hand facts that I know are true and not hearsay. Take it for what it's worth.
Interesting, I appreciate the reply!

·
Registered
522 Posts
So did his house burn down with the rack in it?

·
Team #2-Bow Brothers
1,800 Posts
So did his house burn down with the rack in it?
I’ve heard the rumors that the rack burned up in a fire, don’t know if this is true or not, but if they did it wasn’t his house because it’s still there as I pass by it everyday.

·
Registered
296 Posts
HOYT5MAN thanks for the firsthand info.....
I don’t doubt that you know people that handled the deer and feel it was legit. However a lot of people are oblivious to a lot of things.....Half the people on this forum will look at that D&DH cover picture and think that that is amazing taxidermy work. That doesn’t make them dumb or a liar but it does make their assessment 100% false.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Team #2-Bow Brothers
1,800 Posts
No problem, I’m not convinced it’s 100% legit (as far as where it came from) myself, just stating that I have friends (serious deer hunters) that handled it while it was in the back of his truck so I don’t think he’d let guys hold the head up and check it out if it was fabricated in anyway. I could be wrong but it seems like he would have kept it to himself, if it were fabricated, until he removed it from the deer. Now whether it was a pen raised deer or not, that’s more of the question for me? Again, I’m not here to prove or disprove the deer or bash or defend Mitch. Just sharing what I know as a local and someone that’s been to Mitch’s and seen all his other bucks he has mounted. Again, he used to be a real friendly guy that would bring you in and show you his mounts and talk deer hunting but not so much anymore. I’ve stopped and talked to him since, in his driveway, but never about the alleged world record. I knew it would be a lost cause to bring it up so I would just ask how his season went and so on. Being a local we have discussed Mitch and his deer more than you can imagine so I don’t usually talk much about it anymore but it has resurfaced quite a bit lately on AT and Deer Hunter Podcast so I thought I’d share what I know since it seems a lot of newer hunters are just learning about this story. I guess it will remain a mystery that Mitch will take to his grave with him….

·
Perry Hunter
2,363 Posts
No problem, I’m not convinced it’s 100% legit (as far as where it came from) myself, just stating that I have friends (serious deer hunters) that handled it while it was in the back of his truck so I don’t think he’d let guys hold the head up and check it out if it was fabricated in anyway. I could be wrong but it seems like he would have kept it to himself, if it were fabricated, until he removed it from the deer. Now whether it was a pen raised deer or not, that’s more of the question for me? Again, I’m not here to prove or disprove the deer or bash or defend Mitch. Just sharing what I know as a local and someone that’s been to Mitch’s and seen all his other bucks he has mounted. Again, he used to be a real friendly guy that would bring you in and show you his mounts and talk deer hunting but not so much anymore. I’ve stopped and talked to him since, in his driveway, but never about the alleged world record. I knew it would be a lost cause to bring it up so I would just ask how his season went and so on. Being a local we have discussed Mitch and his deer more than you can imagine so I don’t usually talk much about it anymore but it has resurfaced quite a bit lately on AT and Deer Hunter Podcast so I thought I’d share what I know since it seems a lot of newer hunters are just learning about this story. I guess it will remain a mystery that Mitch will take to his grave with him….
Just curious, you said you still see him from time to time and talk to him……Is he still hunting locally? Still onto big bucks, etc?? I thought he was in solitary from everything I read. I did hear on the podcast he frequents a Speedway for coffee though .

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts

·
Wisconsin Bowhunter
1,578 Posts
I’ve heard the rumors that the rack burned up in a fire, don’t know if this is true or not, but if they did it wasn’t his house because it’s still there as I pass by it everyday.
I guess it will remain a mystery that Mitch will take to his grave with him….
Well, assuming the house is still standing and the rack didn't burn up, whenever Mitch does pass if his estate is properly managed that may very well be the most valuable mount in existence. Whether it is fake or not I could see someone shelling out several thousands to be able to solve the mystery or just own one of the most talked about mounts in bowhunting.

·
Team #2-Bow Brothers
1,800 Posts
Just curious, you said you still see him from time to time and talk to him……Is he still hunting locally? Still onto big bucks, etc?? I thought he was in solitary from everything I read. I did hear on the podcast he frequents a Speedway for coffee though .
He does live in solitary pretty much but it’s not like he lives in the sticks. He lives in a residential area, In fact, you can damn near see Costco from his front porch! 😜 Last time I talked to him he was checking the mail so I stopped and a said hi. He is still hunting and killing some very nice bucks. Again, I don’t know the legitimacy of any of his deer, just sharing what I know. Don’t know if he frequents Speedway or not but there is one just up the road from his house.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
HOYT5MAN thanks for the firsthand info.....
I don’t doubt that you know people that handled the deer and feel it was legit. However a lot of people are oblivious to a lot of things.....
On the flip side, an even greater number of people are often fooled by rumors and pictures, than actually, physically inspecting something, and that seems true of well more than half of the people on this forum.

I personally don't know if the deer is real, and not asserting that it is, and don't care either way to be honest. However, I find it very odd that not one single person who has handled the buck has claimed it's false. On the contrary, they all vouch for it's authenticity, and every single person who claims it's a fake has never touched it, or seen it outside of a photo.

Again, every single person who has seen it in person and touched it, says it's real, and not one single person claiming it's fake has seen or touched it, not one. There is not one single person who has seen it, who claims it's fake, yet so many people here are convinced, from pictures, rumors, and speculation, it's a fake.

So, pictures and speculation are now more reliable than actually seeing and touching it? That's more unbelievable to me than the authenticity of the buck.

In any other case of any deer posted here, people making unproven allegations of the deer being posted as a fake, when everyone who has seen and touched it, including official scorers, and a game warden, say it's real, would be vilified as envious jerks.

361 - 380 of 422 Posts