Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sitting here at the house very down while David is out busting his hump. I hunted as hard as I could but the knees faltered and I came home Sunday afternoon. The swelling and the pain won.
I got up Sunday morning stiff but ready to go. We drove up the hill parked and walked down hill into a basin. I bugled and got a single response but we weren't really sure where it came from. So I cow called and got a response across the basin. David walked down the hill and I inched my way down. With every step down I could feel the bones catching on each other then popping loose. The pain was getting bad fast. David and I got to the bottom and started heading up the other side. We came to a place where David pointed at a ridge line and said lets go up there. I said, "I can't make it David, go without me." "I am going to swing back around the back of the basin to the truck."
David asked if I was sure and unfortunately I was. I was able to limp my way up and out of the basin. Frustrated I got out the camp chair, a cup of tea and a cigar. As I sat and pondered my fate I gazed at the peaks I so wanted to be hunting. I got up to go get the binos I left in the truck and could barely bend my legs. The pain was intense.
I glassed the hills, watched the little birds and sat in the breeze waiting for David to come back. Later I got up to pee and when I turned around there was David. Hot, tired and sucking wind, he made one statement. "DAM!" Sucked some air then said, "The arrows tells the story."
It did but that is Davids story.
Dejected I told David I was done. I think he already knew it. So we packed me up and I came home.
I feel things I can't even explain but the worst is I feel like I let David down. Let me tell you something about David. He is the most gracious, up beat, excited to play in the woods person I have ever been around. His sheer desire to be in the elk woods will take him far. I am so lucky to have had the opportunity to hunt with him even if it was brief. I just hope that new knees will get me back afield cause right now I feel empty sitting here. I love hunting so much I can't imagine life without it.

·
RJ
3,303 Posts
Greg.. Man buddy, I admire the hell out of you. You are what this country (and I mean this) was founded on. You sincerely care about other folks deeply, and obviously, outdoorsman that share your love for the mountains. You may not see it all the time, but others do. You've certainly had trials, but without even meeting you face to face, I'm 100% certain that you've always taken the high road, and done the right thing in most circumstances. You've taken the time to share some bugling tips with a few of us that were eager to learn the upper crust way to doing it. You've partnered up with David to share some of your knowledge. I say, get your new Bionic Man knees installed and get ready for many more years of trekking the high country. I've never even seen Pike's Peak but I know of a guy that has negotiated it many times. I can't say that I've harvested or expertly called in a ton of bulls, but I know a guy who has. Impact on others who love the sport? It's you my friend and you'll continue to do it for many, many years.. Be of good spirt.. Your are the ELK whisperer! RJ

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for those kind words Rory. Hopefully some day we will meet face to face. A camp fire, hunting stories, some good camp food[I'll cook], a good beverage, a great cigar[for me anyway], good nights sleep and to top it off bugling bulls come sun up in the Colorado high country.

·
Embrace the suck!
7,791 Posts
How many seasons have you hunted elk? Have you ever skipped a season since you started? How many elk have you put down with an arrow? My dad has a buddy that is a big upland game hunter. He travels the country hunting grouse in some pretty rough terrain. A few years back he got a knee replaced and as far as I can tell he gets around on it very well. When are your knee replacements scheduled? Do they replace them both at the same time? Or do they replace one, send you home to recover, then bring you back to get the other one fixed? I want to hear more about David's arrows. Was he missing a few or what?

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Thank you for those kind words Rory. Hopefully some day we will meet face to face. A camp fire, hunting stories, some good camp food[I'll cook], a good beverage, a great cigar[for me anyway], good nights sleep and to top it off bugling bulls come sun up in the Colorado high country.
Rory is right, Gregg. You are an inspiration to me and I'm sure to others as well. I know David appreciates everything you have done for him.

You will be back out in the elk woods again with brand new knees! I for one would be honored to spend a camp fire and hunting stories anytime with you.

So, while you have this down time, can you spend some time crossing your fingers for me that I will get a deer or an elk.
Colette

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Colette, I am counting on you. You have all the tools you need, so BELIEVE.

123 4/8 P&Y, I put a call in my mouth and bow in hand in 1987 and killed my first elk in 1989. I honestly can't tell you how many elk I have killed. I know I went one stretch where it was 5 years in a row. There were 2 years I could have killed elk but passed trying to kill a monster I found. I have never killed the "BIG" bull. Seen them up close, very close but couldn't seal it. To be honest it has never bothered me because I called them in and the shot was poor at best so I let them walk. I didn't wound and lose a magnificent animal. I did miss one season[2yrs ago] with torn tendons in my right shoulder but I called in a bull for Aaron[his first] so I got to hunt through someone else. So it has been a few years. David's arrow, David's story!

XwinderX, I feel your pain. Not being in the woods is very hard. I may have to run back up to check on David nut I have no illusions my knees are done.

I am trying to set up the surgery before Thanksgiving. Hopefully that will give me time to heal and strengthen enough to be out again come Sept.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I know missing out on any elk hunting is hard on the soul but in the future this will be just a bump and in the past.
One thing I am sure about is in no way have you let David down, from what he has said the only thing you have done is inspire and
elevate him to another level of elk hunting, anything else would be a non issue to David so don't sweat the small stuff cause I am sure he won't.

JP

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know missing out on any elk hunting is hard on the soul JP
You have no idea. David does, he saw the look on my face. I feel this all the way to my toe nails.

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
Sorry to hear it Gregg, I was hoping to see you make it throught the season. I have no doubts that you'll be back at it on a new set of knees next year:)

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry to hear it Gregg, I was hoping to see you make it throught the season. I have no doubts that you'll be back at it on a new set of knees next year:)
Jake how are you doing? Swelling down enough you can get out?

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
Jake how are you doing? Swelling down enough you can get out?
Swelling is down, almost back to normal. Not sure what it was all about, I cant think of anything that that happened that would have caused it:noidea:
Going to be heading back out this Friday. I have nine hunting days left to get it done before I head up to SD to chase muledeer.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Go kill one Jake!

·
Registered
7,439 Posts

·
Registered
8,080 Posts
Thanks for the kind words Gregg. It is an honor to hunt with you and to be your friend. You and your knees are in my prayers. I feel like I let you down on that ridge where the arrow tells the story. I am taking today off to re energize. I came down off the. Mountain and had to buy a tire. Now I feel better about going back up. I'm gonna do a few chores and may get an evening hunt in today. Time is getting short so from here on in its balls to the wall while I can still do it. Thanks again for all you've done Gregg and I hope you can come back out and play. The bulls are gathering their harems and talking to them subtely. I'm hoping they start bugling. When I hear bugles, they will be saying "come get me" and I hope you can come back and play for a day or 2. I'm heading back up. Good luck to the rest of you

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Go kill that big bull, you deserve him.

·
Embrace the suck!
7,791 Posts
Thanks for the kind words Gregg. It is an honor to hunt with you and to be your friend. You and your knees are in my prayers. I feel like I let you down on that ridge where the arrow tells the story. I am taking today off to re energize. I came down off the. Mountain and had to buy a tire. Now I feel better about going back up. I'm gonna do a few chores and may get an evening hunt in today. Time is getting short so from here on in its balls to the wall while I can still do it. Thanks again for all you've done Gregg and I hope you can come back out and play. The bulls are gathering their harems and talking to them subtely. I'm hoping they start bugling. When I hear bugles, they will be saying "come get me" and I hope you can come back and play for a day or 2. I'm heading back up. Good luck to the rest of you
So did you shoot a tire?!?!?! What happened with your arrow? Don't leave me hanging man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Gregg, I'm truly sorry to hear how bad your knees have gotten. I hope your new knees take you to the highest basins!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts