Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I have an extreme case of target panic. I can hold my pin right on bullseye while my finger is behind the trigger.. When it is in front, I feel this immediate rush to jab the trigger.. Even when it isn't on the bullseye. After reading up on recent posts, I've come to the conclusion I need a BT release (at least to eliminate my TP fear.. and then I can attempt a trigger again).

Which one do y'all recommend? Are they really that hard to shoot? I've heard horror stories, but mostly success.

Input would be fantastic. :cocktail: Thanks AGAIN.. And sorry for asking so many darned questions, hopefully one day I can do some answering. -- (and if this has been covered before, please link me.. my search doesn't work)

·
Registered
9,194 Posts
I switched from Finger shooting to a BT, and I purchased this new thingy called Evolution (by carter). At 1st I wanted to play with it a bit and then acquire a fitting target bow which I'll be shooting with a BT, and convert my current Martin RazorX back for finger shooting. As things stand now I might end up with 2 bows both set up for this BT release (one for outdoor, one for spots). So, if you want to try out a BT you won't regret extra $$ invested in the Evolution... cheers

·
Just Deux It!
314 Posts
I've tried a few, but keep coming back to my Zenith

If you have target panic, a BT release is only part of a solution. You can still punch a BT release. Shoot a blank bale at 5 yards wihtout worrying where exactly your arrows hit. Larry Wise's Core Archery and Bernie Pellerette's Idiot Proof Archery are good books that can help.

Whatever brand of BT release you get, I'd get one with a thumb peg to start, it'll make drawing without misfires much easier. You also could pickup a Carter Solution or Truball Sweet Spot that have safetys. I have a Sweet Spot and like it.

I also recommend shooting a clicker cam to begin. This will help you refine your form. You settle in the spot, rotate the release until you hear the click, pause, then apply back tension for a surprise release.

Zenith sells a beginner's kit that includes a video, but the release desn't have the thumb peg, but they have a slew of models and cams to chose from, and their prices can't be beat.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Another vote for the Zenith. I did like the Carter Evolution, but it just didn't melt in my hand like the Zenith so I sold the Carter. If they slim the size of it down to the size of a medium Zenith I'm definitely going to purchase one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts