Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I’m not expecting any one to give away their honey holes but has anyone hunted the Polk-Clearwater Game Refuge, or School Craft Refuge. My grandparents use to own a resort at lake George which is on the border of School Craft Refuge just wondering if its worth the 41/2 hour drive, and is there good public access.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:bump: :bump:

·
Registered
418 Posts
I live just south of School craft and in my opinion it is too heavily hunted. Accsess is good but too good. However if you can get off the beaten path there are some great deer there. I have hunted it and it seems the deer come down the trails looking up trees!!

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I also hunt the school craft refuge any would agree with walle1 that everyone and there brother hunts there. To make things even worse, they have logged off a large portion of the refuge so more and more people drive four wheelers where they shouldn't. It's also a good place to loose hang on stands, I lost two this last year up there.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked out an aerial map last night what kind of cover is up there and what is the main food sources.

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
There are a couple of rivers and low land areas that get used for cover. The area is a lot of pines, jack pines mostly, thats why it is all getting logged. The most logging has been done over the last 2-3 years. Used to be a really fun area to hunt, but it's kind of depressing now with it being so open and flat.
For food, there is not really any fields with crops around. There a few fields to the east side of the refuge but mostly for cattle. What I see for food is acorns, berrys. There is a decent amount of those around. Some of the clear cuts are growing young brush and trees back in, so they are eating the buds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts