Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only 1 more week MN hunters and its game on. Anyone hunting the central part of the state? Seeing any good bucks?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Oh Yeah, I can hardly wait. I hunt in the south winona county. One of my cousin told me that he saw a whopping 170" buck(which is rare in MN) while he was squirrel hunting last year in the area that I'll be hunting(sorry can't tell which mountain it is).

·
Wishin' I was in Montana
1,330 Posts
Can't wait!
I'll be hunting in the New Prague and Hastings areas.
I wish this last weekend would have been the opener. The temps were perfect!

Good luck to all the MN and WI hunters this coming weekend!

--John

·
Registered
39 Posts
Doing some final sighting in on my bow and at the range 3 does walked buy at 40 yards. Coming home from the range we saw about 15 more deer along 494 in Woodbury. I wish that was open for hunting.

·
Ya hey
1,437 Posts
soon, very soon

I set up my stand a week ago and was taking a few shots from it to see how everything felt when a doe and a fawn showed up and hung around under me for about 20 minutes. Pretty fun. Got the blood goin'. I got to thinking, "This looks pretty bad. No license on me. Out of season. In a tree stand. An arrow nocked and deer below me." At least I had the target block set up to explain just what the heck I was doing if I had to. Hopefully the deer are this dumb this coming saturday morning!

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
I'll be out. First chance of the year for the bucks to make me look stupid...:)

I hunt in central Minnesota, Mille Lacs county to be specific, and I have not seen many bucks this summer. Certainly nothing big. But they are out there, rest assured... :wink:

I think I'm going to have to find some new areas in the public lands I hunt. I've seen a lot of guys out scouting in "my" spots. Seems to be a LOT more people out looking around this fall. Oh well, exploring new areas is always fun, even if not always productive. On public land I think I spend as much time trying to figure out what the other hunters are doing as what the deer are up too...

Good luck!

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
You bet I'll be out!!

I'll be hunting around the New Prague, Webster and Henderson areas.

Alpha...170" buck being rare in the Winona area? You sure about that? lol I have a few buddies from the Houston area and granted big deer aren't behind every tree....they aren't rare. But Shhhhh!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I wish

roped into a hiking trip on the north shore, don't think she would be to stoked seeing the PSE on the backpack... going to do some evening hunts next week in the metro area, then the following weekend up at the properties in the Brainerd Lakes area.

Some nice looking deer in the area on the trail cams, but being only my second season of archery, I'll be happy to take my first animal regardless. After the first one, I will do my duty on the doe population and hopefully fill up the freezer.

Good luck gang! :darkbeer:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Deer no bear

While bear hunting opening weekend I had a nice doe walk right under my stand. I was wishing she was a bear. Oh well, at least I found a new place for my deerstand.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I'll be hunting in Stevens county in W. MN. Got alot of trail cam pics of smaller bucks, but no whoppers.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'll be just south of Mcgregor on Sunday night. Gotta hit Mille Lacs one more time, they're snappin pretty good.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I will be hunting in the Brainerd area. The first week is usually very good, in fact, I think it is one of the best times of the season. I've shot a deer on the first day 3 years in a row now. Things may be different in the woods this year. Everything is happening about a week and a half early. It looks and feels like late Sept. now. I'm sure it is because of the very dry summer. It will be interesting to see. Good luck to all!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'll be out in Pope county hopefully on some state land that no one else is on. I had to refletch my arrows this past weekend so I am not done sighting in yet. :mad:

Good luck to all of you and be safe!!

·
audentes fortuna iuvat
19,351 Posts
Mostly Carlton County but do travel some.

This pic was taken on July 5th. I'm sure he put some length and mass on since then. The other bucks sure have. This guy is a bit more elusive. A few reports of a 12 or better with a droptine and a couple possible sightings of this guy over the last couple weeks. I have a stand set up in his living room. Hope he's watching Saturday morning cartoons this weekend:wink:

Speaking of bears g dog. My buddy killed this guy a couple days ago. Filmed it himself. I thought it was pretty cool. Arrow passes through the chest hits the leg bone on the oppsite side and comes back out the entrance hole.

http://www.huntingfootage.com/showphoto.php?photo=2964&cat=500&ppuser=3666

Attachments

·
Matt R
2,113 Posts
I will be hunting just North of the cities in Columbus Township during the week and Just South of Staples on the weekends. I saw a couple of huge bucks in both locations last year that I am sure were not shot....Maybe this year!

·
Registered
2,624 Posts
I'll be hunting a short distance south of Bemidji. Does not sound like many guys are coming this far north yet. Good luck hunting, just a few short days left.

·
Registered
10,655 Posts
Southwest MN, but have one more BASS tourny on Minnetonka first.

I will have my chance sometime the following week, been scouting and have found a couple decent bucks in the 130 class. However, I want to get a nice doe first to win that big doe contest...got a couple big mammas walking around that will fill the freezer with brats and deer sticks.:wink: Good hunting to all.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts