Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a shoot situation, but an issue that is important to most here in Ontario. :wink:

I'd like to know who in the ministry decides on deer seasons, length of seasons for which weapons and which sex the extra tags are for! Whoever they are, they need a swift kick in the behind! :mad:

As it is right now, it's becoming a free for all in Ontario (WMU 65). Just when were getting a great deer herd (body wise and antler size), the ministry decides to add another week of shotgun, over and above the one week of shotgun and extra week of muzzleloader in December. AND, to add insult to injury, the issue depredation tags, which I don't mind, BUT DON"T MAKE THEM BUCK TAGS!!! As it is now our doe/buck ratio is so high...i've never seen a spring with so many does with no fawns! Make the depredation tags for does, like the rest of the north american continent.

Lastly, this issuance of extra tags is a waste! Until they smarten up and make the extra tags valid for does only, the deer genetics will suffer and you will see the deer herd diminish, as too many does are going unbread, due to the high doe/buck ratio.

It's a known fact that the ministry relies on hunter feedback to issue X number of tags...but like many hunters I know, they purposely jack up their number on their shhets, so they can still get all those tags the next year!! :thumbs_do

So, if the MNR can get their head out of the sand, do the math, hopefully they'll see what happens when you make available to hunters in certain WMU's up to 13 either sex tags (which hunters will mostly put on bucks), a 3 months bow season, 2 week shot gun and 1 week muzzleloader AND, giving BUCK tags ad depredation tags!

If you can, write to the Ministry and let them know that they are grossly mismanaging Ontario's deer herd. :thumbs_up

Serge P.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I'm not sure about your area, but around here I've seen more Does with twin fawns this year than any other year in quite a while.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Deer Tags

Hey Serge

How is every thing going haven't seen you much this year, Every one must be to busy to shoot this year. :sad:

Usally the MNR does a good job with deer management, Our area here there is alot of does with twins and I am very glad to see it. Looks like they had a realy good winter and an even better spring. They gave out even more doe tags this year again and with this many fawns again means more tags next year to. :thumbs_up

I don't think the MNR is to blame if they rely on info from the hunters in your area it would have to be the hunter's fault for the wrong info.

Pearsonally I hunt for meat and don't care if it has horns or is 300 lbs. a 1 1/2 year old doe or buck is fine with me, you can't eat the horns and the big ones are only good for sausage. :smile:

Remember you need some of the big ones for the breeders also, Shoot a little one they taste better and are harder to hit. :shade:

My two cents.

Grant

ps. I was talking to carl about binos and have a question for you I will pm you later. Thanks

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Wow!!!

"So, if the MNR can get their head out of the sand, do the math, hopefully they'll see what happens when you make available to hunters in certain WMU's up to 13 either sex tags (which hunters will mostly put on bucks), a 3 months bow season, 2 week shot gun and 1 week muzzleloader AND, giving BUCK tags ad depredation tags!"

Serge;

As far as I know, and going by the MNR regs, the most tags anyone person is allowed is 7, including your original tag. That means "only" 6 extra.

I can see your point though, if they are allowing you to use the tags on either sex, that is all wrong. The population problems are mostly with does, not bucks. I know the area you are talking about, and the buck/doe ratio is so out of whack it would make you sick!!

If you need a hand to clean out the doe pop a little bit this year, let me know, I will gladly whack a couple for you!!

Rob ;)

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I like the idea of buying extra tags this year BUT i do think the MNR has gone alittle bit overboard. They gave out 200 'bonus' antlerless tags here in area 94 and this season will be the first season of a permanent yearly shotgun hunt (an either sex proposition). I think area 94 could get a little 'wiped out' due to the structure of habitat in the area. We consist mainly of small parcels of woods with little escape cover.

·
Registered
184 Posts
""It's a known fact that the ministry relies on hunter feedback to issue X number of tags...but like many hunters I know, they purposely jack up their number on their shhets, so they can still get all those tags the next year!! ""

Since when has the MNR listened to the hunters in Ontario! I lived there for 10 years, and IMO the whole system is politically run, not for the good of the wildlife and particularly not the hunters.

Thought for the day: What happened to your spring bear season??? :angry:

P.S. I love Saskathchewan! Got my first buck (5 x 5) Friday with my LX!!!

·
Registered
416 Posts
For sure it is politically run!!!! Contact Larry Smith South Nation Archery if you want lots of Details he is Constantly fighting for the Wealth of the deer herd and is at best twice as Knowlegable as any so called deer manager that the MNR employes..613-989-2943 :angry:

Thought for the Day MNR? Minisrty of No results!!! :angry:

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hey Carl

Got my bow set up for fingers man this hard I need some pointers.

We have the same problem with moose here they don't see the need for more moose in our area but they do look after the deer here but with alot of preasure from the hunt camps and the local angler hunter groups.

Grant

ps GOOD LUCK moose hunting

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dinsdale

Not in WMU 65 their not...says so right on my tag. Some WMU's are anterless, but not in 65.

Serge P.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts