Archery Talk Forum banner

Mock Scrapes

810 Views 10 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  TTFO
How many of you guys use a mock scrape? What products have you found to be the most effective. What time of year do you start to use them. I'm hunting a place this Saturday that had a nice scrape 2 years ago ( I missed a nice 8 pt the day I found the scrape and climbed a tree next to it.... opportunity lost:cry:) there was no scrape last year or yet this year. Do you think it would be a waste of time to try a mock scrape there this year?

Thanks in advance,
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
10,204 Posts
NOT a waste of time

I would definently put a mock scrape there. Put some "HOMEBREW" scent in that mock scrape. That will do the trick!:wink:

· Registered
979 Posts
I would definently put a mock scrape there. Put some "HOMEBREW" scent in that mock scrape. That will do the trick!:wink:
+1

If you don't feel confortable wizzin' in the scrape, then put some buck urine in there with some doe estrous on a nearby, low limb. good luck!

· Registered
1,310 Posts
I have never had any luck making a mock scrape but I have wizzed in a real one and when I went back a couple days later it was twice the size(must of upset someone).
This year I will make one about 15 yards from my stand using the "homebrew" to start and then I will switch to Stony creeks natural scents and see what happens.

· Registered
4,458 Posts
ttt

I am goint to be making some this season too. Wanted to get them in already but just been pretty busy with everything else.
I actually(ok my dad made it):wink: made a "fake" licking branch for them to use. Probably will have him make a couple more. Pretty handy to have. So you can put the the scrape almost anywhere you want it.

Also what brands of scents are all of you using. Might use the "Homebrew" stuff if I have to.:tongue:
But what are some readily available brands that work pretty well.

· Registered
10,204 Posts
IF the situation allows. I like to put a quick mock scrape in my shooting lane before I go up my tree, where I'd like to take the a shot. When a deer gets close to it, if it can see the scrape, they very often will go over to it and investigate it. Really takes their attention off their surroundings and helps you get your bow drawn and holds the deer still for the shot.

· Fat Jesus
29,133 Posts
I made a mock the other day after moving some cameras...I only made one, and yes I went the "homebrew" route with it...I would have made more but I didnt have enough "scrape juice" left in me to do more than 1...

· Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the reply's. I used Doc's Mock Scrape in the spray bottle 2 years ago when I had success (sort of) hunting the "real" scrape. I didn't have much success but maybe I'll try the "homebrew" this year.

Thanks again,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.