Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you think it would be possible to trip the whisker biscuit to make it like a Hostage arrow rest so that the fleching doesn't have to go through the biscuit?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone? suggestions or pics are welcome?

·
Retired GI "still serv'n"
13,960 Posts
I have seen pics of people trying to modify on here..........dont think it turned out well.
I would either sell it or trade it for a hastage if that is what you want to do.
Myself, I have both rests and actually like the WB better, the bristles last longer.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
whisker bisquit modifications

Yes it is possible to modify the WB to be more like the hostage rest. I have done this very thing several times with good results and will continue to do so. I disassemble my WB and then take a straight razor to cut the hairs/fibers. Just take your time and go slowly and don't take out to much at once. Also be very careful not to take out too many of the brown bristles at the bottom next to the dark bristles to ensure enough support. This will keep the arrow from falling down from small bumps the arrow may take while hunting.

·
Registered
50,408 Posts
I would suggest against it it may work for a short period but IMHO your wrecking the rest but if you want a hostage then buy one. But my .02 is go to the QAD rest, now you have full capture, quiet and all the advantages of a drop away---best of all worlds.:wink:

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Modified

There was a post here about 8 months ago that covered this subject. There were several pics. showing the WB trimed every 120 degrees to clear vanes. The people reporting said that it worked great. Blazers seem to stand up well to the WB. Put a drop of glue on the leasing edge of the vane helps.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
I've tried it.

Can you modify the Biscuit and cut out openings? Sure you can. I've done it to 3 of them. You have to be very careful not to cut too much away, and to cut the openings very evenly. Even at that, you can bump the arrow out of the middle, or if you cut the bottom area too much, the arrow can sag when you draw, as the bristles can spread apart. IMO, it is only an advantage if you insist on using "soft" vanes that wrinkle up with the Biscuit in its normal form. Another trick is to trim the Biscuit flat on the back, which seems to allow the fletching to pass through a little easier. I am currently using an old, all black Biscuit on one bow, and it was trimmed like that. Shoots broadheads just fine. I use Speedhunter ST vanes, but Vanetec, Flex Fletch, or Blazers all work fine also. I would assume you could trim the back of the newer brown/black ones the same way. To answer your question though, I will not try trimming slots in the Biscuit again, after trying it with 3 of them. Too much of a chance to mess it up, and no real advantage to it. JMHO

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Why? What's wrong with how it is? I've done alot of shooting with a whisker bisquit rest and never had any issue with vanes going through the bisquit. Sounds like trying to fix a problem that's not there.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the main reason for asking is to get more speed for better longer shots..i will probably leave it alone because i dont want to mess it up because i plan to get a limbdriver in the future

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok, so it shouldn't effect my shot at 30+ yard shots?

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
do you think it would be possible to trip the whisker biscuit to make it like a Hostage arrow rest so that the fleching doesn't have to go through the biscuit?
with all the poor comments about hostage rests, if you want the inferior product buy it there is no reson to destroy the biscuit, the contact has no effect on the shot, all three fletches contact at the same time and cancels out the others, it remains absolutly true

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
the main reason for asking is to get more speed for better longer shots..i will probably leave it alone because i dont want to mess it up because i plan to get a limbdriver in the future
2 freakin feet per second will gain you how much distance? a foot and a half? the speed you will gain is worth nothing at any distance,, your talking about LESS than the length of the arrow in a full second of flight!!!

300fps as apposed to 298fps ? get real, if you dont like the biscuit jsut say so and buy a failaway,

at the length of a football field the tip of the slower arrow is between the knock and field tip of the faster one!!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
2 freakin feet per second will gain you how much distance? a foot and a half? the speed you will gain is worth nothing at any distance,, your talking about LESS than the length of the arrow in a full second of flight!!!

300fps as apposed to 298fps ? get real, if you dont like the biscuit jsut say so and buy a failaway,

at the length of a football field the tip of the slower arrow is between the knock and field tip of the faster one!!
ok, well see on my bow that i am getting rid of had a drop-away but i like my bows to be "super tuned" by a good friend of mine and with the bianary cam i don't like things attached to the cables or anything to cause any sort of disruption in the shot that is why i'm currently going to keep the biscuit until i have the money to get a limbdriver...i've never shot a biscuit i've just been told it could affect my shot so i asked, thanks for the replies, i'm gonna leave the biscuit the same, especially since i shoot blazers cuz they don't wrinkle, and i'm happy, i've shot the bow quite a bit and i love the way it shoot right now, i just prefer to have the bow the way i want it.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
and this is my dream bow, ever since i've shot my bluddies bowtech tribute i've been hooked, i've just never had the money or came across a good deal that i could get one til now...so i'm thrilled no matter what...i just can't wait to take her to the woods :darkbeer:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Bowman100

I was a WB "basher" for a number of years; I thought it would kill speed and mess up arrow stabilization for longer shots, so I never used one. This year, however, I ended up "having" to put one on my bow for a late season hunt. At the range, I was going to be happy if I had accuracy and consistency at 30 yards. Well, at 30 I was great so I moved to 40. ...still great, so I moved to 50. ...STILL great. Either the WB of today is MUCH better than the WB of "yesterday" or I was mistaken; the thing shoots great. I still have blistering speed, great accuracy, my vanes aren't messed up at all (although I did make sure I had only a slight offset and extra drop of glue in the front), and I had a rest that was a cinch to "center shot" and paper tune with. ...I actually got the best bullet holes through paper I've ever had.

Shoot the WB until you want to TRY a new rest and then compare the two. ...I haven't tried yet, but I'll be shooting out to 70 yards in a couple of days (weather related) and doubt I'll see any difference/problems.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bowman100

I was a WB "basher" for a number of years; I thought it would kill speed and mess up arrow stabilization for longer shots, so I never used one. This year, however, I ended up "having" to put one on my bow for a late season hunt. At the range, I was going to be happy if I had accuracy and consistency at 30 yards. Well, at 30 I was great so I moved to 40. ...still great, so I moved to 50. ...STILL great. Either the WB of today is MUCH better than the WB of "yesterday" or I was mistaken; the thing shoots great. I still have blistering speed, great accuracy, my vanes aren't messed up at all (although I did make sure I had only a slight offset and extra drop of glue in the front), and I had a rest that was a cinch to "center shot" and paper tune with. ...I actually got the best bullet holes through paper I've ever had.

Shoot the WB until you want to TRY a new rest and then compare the two. ...I haven't tried yet, but I'll be shooting out to 70 yards in a couple of days (weather related) and doubt I'll see any difference/problems.
thanks Chris, and yes, the whisker biscuit that is on it is the one of today, which is a great sign for me, found your comment very helpful, thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts