Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Monkey tails,good or bad? want to put them on my rampage but I seen somthing about string wear and I was curious. Thanks

·
Registered
855 Posts
I really like them. Great at string dampening and I like the fact they wrap around the string instead on wedging inside. If possible install them on the served area of string and there won't be any wear.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks guy. I think they are really cool looking but didn want them to tear my string up. thanks for the tip

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have them on both my bows and they work great I found them most effective if I got them close to the serving and where the string meet. I will say they are a pain to put on and often you rip them. So have a second set of hands handy.

2013 monster chill tactical 27.5in #[email protected]
Axion 5 pin tactical
Qad Mathews drop away
Mathews t5
Easton flatline 400
2010 Mathews z7 lost camo 27in #60
Axion 5 pin lost camo
Qad hd drop away
Mathews t5
Easton n-fused 300

·
Registered
738 Posts
I've had good luck with them. Some say they break after so many shots but on the 3 different mathews I've had them on I haven't had one break yet. Also haven't had any string wear from them. I've played with different combinations from none to 3 on my z7extreme and the speed difference is very minimal <3fps. IMO they are worthwhile if your wanting an easy effective way to quiet down a bow.

·
Banned
110 Posts
I just took the blk ones off my zxt and installed green. My advice is to take a small drill or screwdriver through the hole and pull it open a little bit, it helps a ton getting them to go on. As far as string wear, they're too soft for that. Check mathews website for orientation instructions. All the little loops are supposed to face the center of the bow(the open ends will face eachother and the rest). Hope.this helps

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Shot them on all my Mathews bows since they came out. Don't like them on my string, they break (hit me in the temple once, that ***** hurt, don't want to lose my eye!) there and slow down your shot (2 of them on my DXT cost me 3~5 fps!).

They work just as well in silencing on the cables. Recorded it indoors on my Hyperlite, without 3 on the cables, it was 55dB with it reduced the sound to 49dB, which is a lot! (not to the shooter's ear, but at 3 yards it did make quite the difference!) Costs no speed nether (perhaps 1 fps?)

So far I know people that have used them on a Monster, MR5, MR6, MR8, Hyperlite, DXT, Z7, Z9, PSE moneymaker, Bowtech Assassin, Hoyt Ruckus, Alphaburner. All with noticable sound reduction, but the ones that had them on the string have a few broken ones between them. The guy with the MR5 was hit in the inside of his leg by one part, almost killed a nut he jokes.

They are an okay product, it works, but you'll need to put them on serving if you shoot a lot or they'll move / wear down. Don't put them below your nocking point on unserved, on the Hyperlite they kept creeping up, eventually lashing my forearms upon the shot.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I like mine so much I PUT SOME ON MY BROTHERS HOYT CARBON MATRIX :lol3:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you guys for your tips,very helpfull.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
http://c715222.r22.cf2.rackcdn.com/...nstallation-on-Mathews-Solocam-Bow-Models.pdf

This is what Mathews recommends. Shouldn't matter if its a Mathews / Hoyt or w/e.

The ones on the string are what I don't like. The one between the stop and the bottom cam is the one that potentially whips you. The one on the top has broken and hit me in the face. Also the one that broke first on the MR5 and the Z9.

Do put them on the spot about and inch from the yoke on the serving and near the end of the serving on the cables cam-side where it goes into the mod. That means that on a dual-cam bow you'd need 4 of them ideally. That is how the MR8 and Assassin were rigged out. The Z7 just has moved the three that came with it around. The owner claims it doesn't matter where he sticks them anyway, but he doesn't like the slowing down when they are on the string.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
I really like them. Great at string dampening and I like the fact they wrap around the string instead on wedging inside. If possible install them on the served area of string and there won't be any wear.
X2...I like them because you dont have to split the string .....It dont mess with your peep rotation once its set. IMO, the work pretty darn good too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
They are rather easy to instal once you do a few. it helps to lick the inside of the loop to help the tail slide through.
If you instal them with thestring between the loop and the little nub on the side, they wont move.

Anyone notice any change in performance via tail orientation?
I have been installing them (on main string) so the tail is pointed back towards the shooter and opens away from the cams.
On the cables so that the tail opens away from the cable direction.
Seems to take more of the twang out of the string.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts