Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In search of effective waterproof tunable string silencers, i just tried monkey tails on my pinnacle. They wrap around the string, go on and off in seconds, can be slid up/down the string to aid tuning, and are waterproof. Seem to do a decent job of quieting the bow too. Give them a try if you aren't a member of the trad police :)

·
>>--------->
1,465 Posts
I really like monkey tails BUT they seem to rip off very quickly. Still use them though

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I like them when im setting up a new string/bow, because of the easy off/on feature. Mainly just to quiet the bow while setting it up. Once my string and bow are dialed in, I tie in cat whiskers, as IMHO they are a lot better at quieting a bow. Love the monkey tails as a temporary silencer; really nothing else out there in that dept.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
They just don't last long.
mine have lasted as long as any of my strings. taking them on and off is what ruins them

·
>>--------->
1,465 Posts
mine have lasted as long as any of my strings. taking them on and off is what ruins them
I never have a chance to remove mine, they remove themselves after 50-150 shot. You shooting a recurve, longbow, or a Mathews solocam?

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Cat whiskers are the most effective at silencing. They are also the worst energy thieves. Never tried Monkey Tails. I prefer the String Leeches. Maybe not as easy as Monkey Tails, but very durable. Something that only lasts 150 shots wouldn't last but a couple of days for me.

·
Registered
9,413 Posts
I've used catwiskers and monkey tails, not sure which slows the string more, as one is more drag and one is more weight. Both tended to wind up downrange before too long, or pieces of them.

·
Registered
10,051 Posts
I like the idea of the monkey tails and wound up "stuck" with a set from a former friend. I tried them, but I suppose after taking them on and off his compound and then putting them on a couple of my longbow strings, they were worn out. They only lasted me a week. Now I'm back to rubber whiskers snipped short.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts