Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2010 Monster 6.0. I'm having a bit of a time with a left tear. Here are the specs:

Bow: 29" Draw, 63# draw weight

Arrow: 27 3/4" Victory X-Ringer HV1 350, QuickSpin 2" Speed Hunter vanes, pin nock, 90-grain glue-in point. Arrow weight is 307 grains, 9.4% FOC, 335 fps.

Arrow Rest is a Trophy Ridge DropZone Guide series set to rise in the last 3 to 4 inches of draw.

I shoot a d-loop with a carter release.

GT 5575s (400 deflection) produced the same untunable left tear, so not overspined. Backed the limbs out up to 6 full turns, same tear, not underspined. Started off with the rest at 11/16 off the shelf, been thru the whole windage range with same results.

I don't think I'm getting contact but haven't powdered it yet.

I shoot med-high wrist, mindful of torque and good form.

Cam lean perhaps? Anybody else having the same problem?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Timed the rest to 1/2" before FD, same result. Powdered the arrows, no contact. Same flippin tear.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Which cams are on the bow ? what style of limb bolt barrels are in the riser ( Brass or Stainless). I had to send mine back to mathews for the same problem. I also put limbsavers between the limbs this seemed to help keep the limbs straight. See if lowering the poundage on the bow changes the tear also.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cams and barrels are whatever they sent it out with. I can look i guess. I tried dropping poundage on the limbs (2 turns at a time up to 6 full turns), same tear.
I've read a lot of postings about idler wheel lean and tweaking the yolk to straighten it out, but haven't seen anything that pertains to cam lean on the Monster.
I set up a different Monster a few months ago with the same rest, arrows and release ... it tuned fine.

What was the result with sending yours back to Mathews? Did they send you a replacement or what?

·
Registered
30 Posts
they changed the cams to the deep groove and put the stainless barels (sp?) in. if you break it all the way down you can check the limb deflection also (numbers are written on the limbs)the out board limbs should be the higher deflection limbs.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just ordered this thing a few weeks ago, so I'm sure it will have the deeper groove cams and whatever they've started using for barrels (brass, stainless).

I've tried about everything I can think of to correct this left tear.
The Monster cam setup is designed to minimize any lean, so I don't think I'll go there. Yet.

I'm reading a lot about d-loop pinch and nock fit. These Victory pin nocks fit real tight on the string, so I'm going to re-serve with a smaller braid. Then I'll put on a new d-loop with 1/16" tied nocksets inside the knots to see if that makes a difference.

I'll post my results back.

·
Vendor
6,565 Posts
tuning monster 6

try a shrewd grip and beiter hunter nocks. my monster 6 shot a perfect bullet hole with 4 different arrows without even changing rest position. 62 # 29inch, carbon express max select 250, gold tip 75/95, carbontech cheeta 400, and a 2312 aluminum arrow.with 80gr,85gr, and 100gr. tips love it.shooting qad hd rest.with dloop. the beiter nocks are great they are shaped to reduce nock pinch and spring open for a good fit on the string. you must get the nock tool to turn the nock though or it will be damaged if you just twist it like other nocks.also make sure you are not pulling the string into your face this will cause me to tear rt or left. good luck

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re-served the string with .022 and changed up the d-loop. The nocks fit great now, and it made the difference I was looking for. I get a slight left tear shooting open-handed with mid-high wrist, but favoring the left side of the grip produces consistant bullteholes. I'm definately looking into a Focus or a Shrewd grip.

Now it's time for group tuning. Thanks for the input guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts