Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Banned
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shot the monster today and this is my unbiased opinion.

Bow balances well and holds nice in the hand.
Draw starts out nice and loads up pretty hard about last 3-4 inches.
Definite drop off (hump)into the valley (cam rollover).
Very nice at the shot(little to no vibration).
Bow was very quite.
Bow is definitely fast!!!

So there it is. For gus wanting a fast bow that is virtually shock free, quiet and fast you may like this bow if you don't mind the 6" bh and a harsh draw cycle and hump at the end of the cycle( most speed bows I have shot feel this way as well).

I don't shoot a Mathews or a PSE so I have no dog in this speed fight....For a speed bow it's not bad..
I have not bad mouthed anything or any brand in this thread, so please don't bash me. Thanks God Bless and good shooting!!!

· Registered
449 Posts

Bow was very quite.

So there it is. For gus wanting a fast bow that is virtually shock free, quiet and fast you may like this bow if you don't mind the 6" bh and a harsh draw cycle and hump at the end of the cycle( most speed bows I have shot feel this way as well).

I don't shoot a Mathews or a PSE so I have no dog in this speed fight....For a speed bow it's not bad..
I have not bad mouthed anything or any brand in this thread, so please don't bash me. Thanks God Bless and good shooting!!!
Good summary I am going to shoot it next week just to see what speed is all about havent needed the speed but might as well see what all the hype is about :wink:.......good post:thumbs_up

· Registered
1,091 Posts
Very good post as well. Here is what I thought.

I thought the draw was very reasonable considering the setup. I shot it at 60# and the rollover wasn't extreme and it held very nice against the wall. it felt very good for 60#.

The weight of the bow was the first thing that I noticed when I picked it up. It is a little heavier which i believe contributes to the fact that it holds very well. This may come into play when you are carrying a good deal of equipment to your stand. I don't mind a heavy bow(I actually perfer) but some may.

As far as the shot, it is very nice. The bow is equiped with a string loop, peep, tru glo sight, trophy taker drop away and an s-coil. All these contributed to the weight. When the bow went off there was nothing in the hand. It was truly a pleasure to shoot.

Speed was another great thing. Set at 28" and 70# it shot a 350 grain arrow at 333 FPS with the bow set as previously mentioned.

· Registered
7,583 Posts
I liked the bow but i just didnt like the price on it. It was $829 here. I got my AM for 699 and i cant say its 129 better but it is a very impressive bow and you definitly feel you are holding a quality piece when you shoot it. To have it come out in the same year as the reezen its almost as if they are made by two different companies. The draw on the 2 cam monster is not as bad as the single cam reezen in my opinion.

· Registered
661 Posts

Bow was very quite.

Pretty close to what I would say except I didnt really feel a hump. I shot one set on 62#. As he described the draw is smooth until the last couple inches. Then it is still smooth but it loads up quick from there till the end of draw. Rock solid wall, and smooth as all get out on the shot. This one did have the new suppressor though. Fast as hewill. I would say nice bow and definatly should make you speed guys happy. But this bow just isnt for me. Im used to competition bows. I also noticed the weight on this bow. Actually thats the first thing I said when I picked it up, " Sure is heavier than I would have thought." But I liked the weight. Overall this is a nice bow and I would really suggest you shoot it before you say either good or bad about it. I think you will be suprised in your thoughts.

· Registered
10,406 Posts
Our shop should be getting it in shortly and i want to shoot it.Even with the threads i've read here,i'm still reading a lot of mixed reveiws on it....some say the roll over isn't bad...some say it's a bull.....some say the shock isn't bad,and some say they feel it....some say it's balance isn't the greatest,but some never menton's it.Guess i'll see,but my main interest is how it will feel in my hand.gl

· Registered
15 Posts
I went to our local matthews shop to shoot the moster they had just received. I told the owner I wanted to shot the monster and he replied well we had one yesterday, I was thinking he had sold it, no someone had put it on the scale to see how much weight he was pulling and from what the owner was told the guy must of torqued the bow somehow and the string jumped off the cam and the s**t was on. It went back to matthews in a box.

This is a true story so bash me if you must!!

· Registered
26 Posts
At the shop that I work at the monster is probably one of the most shot bows I have seen in years. love or hate mathews it is a bow everyone wants to try. I have seen a large variance in the responses to it. I think this review is similar to how I felt about it. obviously it does not draw like a dxt or an alphamax, but to get the speed I could probably live with it. I thought the draw was stought, but not really any harder than the reezen, the roll over is just in a different spot than where most mathews have broken over before. The only real negative I see about the monster is its physical weight, having a dxt its hard to wanna get a bow that is heavier. I think the monsters feels pretty similar the the pse x force 6 in how it draws, but probably a little easier. the pse is lighter which I like, but not sure if I really want to get into the speed game. most of the customers who have shot it are our shop have been very impressed, but a lot of hunting guys are starting to buy the reezens just because they are more familiar with how they draw. Anyone who has not shot one really should, reviews like this dont let you really feel how the bow shoots. I think you'll be impressed, unless you are some sort of a fanboy.

· Registered
1,159 Posts
I too shot one the other night. I was anxious to try it. First off it was a great looking bow. Great aesthetics. Second impression was the weight. It had two of the super harmonic dampeners in it and a string stopper and it felt like about 8 pounds. The draw was pretty harsh, especially the last couple of inches. As a matter of fact I pulled a muscle in my back muscling that thing back, and I shoot bows all the time. That's never happened to me. So I'm not a fan of the draw cycle. The shot was a surprise, however. Not much kick and it felt great on the release. No alphamax, mind you, but a great feeling speed bow. I liked the shot part much better than the reezen. I'd like to try one in about 55 lbs and see how it draws. If this thing went on a diet and lost about a pound it would be even better.

· Registered
1,736 Posts

Bow was very quite.

Nice Post McLuvin

· Registered
1,950 Posts
I can't wait to try the Monster but would also like to try an Am. Seems lefty AMs are hard to come by. From what I have been told the AM draws almost as smooth as the Reezen and that makes sense ,since they both have very similar draw force curves. From most of the posts I've read the Monster draws a little nicer than the Reezen. I guess it just shows, You have to shoot them for yourself.

· Banned
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I liked the bow but i just didnt like the price on it. It was $829 here. I got my AM for 699 and i cant say its 129 better but it is a very impressive bow and you definitly feel you are holding a quality piece when you shoot it. To have it come out in the same year as the reezen its almost as if they are made by two different companies. The draw on the 2 cam monster is not as bad as the single cam reezen in my opinion.
Good post. Just goes to show you we all like a little different feel. I personally thought the draw cycle on the reezen is much better than the monster. I thought monster had one of the most pronounced humps(rollover) I have ever felt, but with that said this is a speed bow and its not going to feel as smooth as non speed bows. But once again if you are looking for a speed bow and you don't mind the feel of a speed bow then you may very well like the monster. I walked in the shop very skeptical but walked out of the shop very surprised.

· 182 5/8's
3,465 Posts
I can't wait to try the Monster but would also like to try an Am. Seems lefty AMs are hard to come by. From what I have been told the AM draws almost as smooth as the Reezen and that makes sense ,since they both have very similar draw force curves. From most of the posts I've read the Monster draws a little nicer than the Reezen. I guess it just shows, You have to shoot them for yourself.
Amost as smooth, have you drawed the reezen and AM, the AM is a lot smoother than the reezen, Im not a basher, I shoot a drenalin. But try them both.

· Banned
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I personally thought the Am was by far the smoothest of all 3, but we are all different.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.