Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting a 3 or 5 pin slider and I want something light, lighter than my Tommy Hogg and the Verdict caught my eye. A few others that got my attention are the Fast Eddie, Axcel Accutouch, HHA Kingpin, and even the Hoyt Carbon Xceed.

Any opinions would be appreciated. Looking for weight, durability, pin brightness, and adjustability.

·
Registered
8,586 Posts
The Spot Hogg, Axcel and HHA sights are all much nicer than the Black Gold imo. Love my Fast Eddie XL.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Spot Hogg, Axcel and HHA sights are all much nicer than the Black Gold imo. Love my Fast Eddie XL.
I like my Spot Hoggs and Axcels as well. I've never owned a MBG sight before but I have owned a few HHA's but never a Kingpin.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I just went through this process. I have a Tommy, and other than weight, you can't go wrong with it. I wanted to try something else though. The Tommy's been with me a long time and will remain so. It was down to the Accutouch/Accuhunter, Ascent Verdict, and CBE Tek Hybrid Pro. In the end, I went with the CBE. I had several Armortechs when they first came out, and with the stripping pins then, it left a bad feeling toward Axcel sights for me. Seeing some reviews on how the rheostat cover can fall off and get lost on the new scopes, I started to rule out the Accutouch/hunter. The MBG, to me, doesn't feel like it belongs with the other two mentioned as far as build quality and attention to detail, however the price reflects that. The dial being so far away from the sight body, I could see a potential bent arm that holds the dial on a dropped bow. Also, there's no micro windage. I was close to going MBG, but its the small details that held it back. In the end, maybe the CBE's only fault is pin brightness, but the light is included, so its not an issue to me. Otherwise, it is everything a sight should be when you are in the upper price range.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
"Also, there's no micro windage."

This would be incorrect. Some MBG models offer Micro adjust windage.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Really like my MBG 3 pin slider. Pins are crazy bright. The new one is lighter yet I believe. Great sight!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
26,855 Posts
I have a tommy hogg single pin,I also have a mbg single pin slider and have had a few multi pin sliders,for hunting I prefer the mbg sights.I would trade my LH tommy hogg in a second for a mbg multi pin slider.I just like them better,all good sights...Grizz

·
Registered
1,254 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
I own an HHA kingpin, MBG Ascent, Apex Covert Pro and had an HHA optimizer lite. All single pin. The MGB is my favorite. I like the accuracy of the sight strips and adjustments of the sight. The construction is very good and sturdy.
I've never owned any Spot Hogg so I cannot comment on those.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It looks like the guys who've used a few of the sights mentioned are giving the nod to the MBG.

Haven't heard much about the Axcel Accutouch though.

·
Registered
11,013 Posts
I have had all those listed but not the HHA....Not a fan.

MBG IMO is the best hunting sight for many reasons some being, solid construction, bright pins, lighter weight, value, and customer service.

·
Registered
14,370 Posts
The MBG is a great sight. Is kind of the high end of the low end sights if that makes sense. It does not have the tolerances of a spot hogg or axcel but they are tight enough to work. The finish on their sights have gotten better over the last couple years but that is also not up to par with some of the others. That being said they are a solid sight with few problems, and if you did have problems they have a great warranty. Personally I wouldn't go away from the spot hogg. The weight you save is very negligible. My first spot hogg was a tommy and I replaced a pure gold(both 5 pin moveables). I did not notice any weight difference and my bow got substantially quieter with the tommy. The tommy is also quieter with a 3 or 5 pin head than the fast eddie.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I really like the idea of the double pin on the Fast Eddie, if the Axcel had the pin of a Spot Hogg I think I would go that route for sure. I like quality lightweight equipment, like on my hunting rifles if I can shave an oz here and an oz there, alone it doesn't make much matter, but it adds up in the end.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I just ordered an MBG Verdict Assault from S&S. We'll see how it is. I had the same debate between CBE, HHA, SH, and MBG. I have a stop hogg hunter 5 pin on one bow and decided to switch it up. Weight was a big factor. The Assault comes in at 9.6oz.

We'll see what its like once i get it.

Also, just so everyone knows, you can get a lower profile adjustment knob by sending it in to Blackgold. I have confirmed this with them. Its about 1/2 or so shorter.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just ordered an MBG Verdict Assault from S&S. We'll see how it is. I had the same debate between CBE, HHA, SH, and MBG. I have a stop hogg hunter 5 pin on one bow and decided to switch it up. Weight was a big factor. The Assault comes in at 9.6oz.

We'll see what its like once i get it.

Also, just so everyone knows, you can get a lower profile adjustment knob by sending it in to Blackgold. I have confirmed this with them. Its about 1/2 or so shorter.

I've had all the ones you listed above less the MBG, but you can add Axcel. My favorite sights were the Axcel Armortech and the Spot Hogg Hunter (I put custom pins on both). I had a hard time with the single pin HHA's and the pins on the CBE remind me of 1992 tru glo pins. I won't be buying another CBE sight until they get with mellenium technology in the fiber optics, seriously.

I think I shoot more accurately with the Axcel but I put more trust in the Spot Hogg as far as reliability goes. My gut is telling me Spot Hogg, on paper it looks like the Axcel, but opinion almost seems to be MBG for price point.

I went with the Spot Hogg Hunter for my hunting setup because of the reliability, I don't know if I should try to shave the weight for a hunting/3D bow

1 - 17 of 17 Posts