Archery Talk Forum banner

Montec broke.

918 Views 8 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Fletchthis
I shot a large doe opening day Sat. evening, quartering away. Hit the off shoulder after a good pass through, the deer ran about 20 yards with the arrow befor it completely fell out. When I found the arrow I looked at the Montec and the very tip about 1/16" was broke off. This is the first year I have used this broadhead and wondered if this was normal. My set up is as follows, Mathews SB XT 62lbs 29' draw, 27 1/4" Easton Axis FMJ with the 100gr. Montecs. The deer was a lasered 14yds. After processing the deer I found that the front shoulder was completely shattered. The head did its job killing the deer very quickly but I was supprised at the breakage of the tip.

Matt
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2,403 Posts
Well it did the job right?... Bone is bone and you said it "was shattered" so if only the tip was damaged,I guess I wouldn't be too upset.

· Premium Member
10,362 Posts
Good to hear that the Montec did it's job. Meat on the table...:tongue:

I would think that if you sharpen it back up it would be ok. I am going to shoot them this year also.

There is one broadhead that I have been messing around with and it no longer had the "needle tip" look to it, but I have sharpened it several times and it still hits it's mark out to 60 yds! Awesome heads imo...Also this broadhead I speak of is now 1/32" shorter than the others and still performs flawlessly:wink:

· Registered
145 Posts
My dad bought a set of those heads for this year and he was trying to get me to buy a set also. Well I did some shopin around and found the Snuffer SS. i bought them so we could compare heads after the hunt. Well that and mine have a lifetime guarantee. Sorry about the breakage on your head but at least you got meat in the freezer. Now get out there and dirty up the rest of the pack, Just aim a little further back. :rolleyes: My opener is tomorrow I hope to have a good first day and beat my dad back to the hangin shed.

· Registered
1,281 Posts
I shot a buck with a 250 gr muzzle-loader bullet last year at about 50 yards. He was quartering away and I hit him a little funny in the shoulder. Destroyed the shoulder, but desrtoyed the bullet too. It never made it into the chest.

It wouldn't surprise me to loose a little tip in a shoulder. Once you get the thing in there everything moves and grinds around too.

· save the decoys!!!!!!!!!!
7,037 Posts
i do think you could file that back to a point and reuse.....shoot it of course to see if it lost too many grains to be consistant with your others.

i use montecs and havent had that happen to me, but i think any head could have something like that happen, while it will be rare. pretty crazy.

· Registered
7 Posts
I've been using 100 gr. Montecs. I shot a deer through the vitals hit a rib on the way in and a rib on the way out then proceded through the far shoulder with a complete pass through and the head looked flawless. Not even a bur.
That was prety impressive

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.