Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G5 Montec - Carbon Steel (CS) heads are priced the same as the stainless Montecs. What is the purpose of the CS heads? Easier to sharpen?

Carbon Steel is a simple alloy of iron with carbon, manganese, and silicon. As a material's carbon content increases, its strength improves but its formability and weldability lessen. I would think the formability to create a broadhead would be high lessening the carbon content. Second CS will hold an edge better but is mainly used to cut through more tough steel metals. A deer hide or even bone is not a hardened steel.

Gimmic? or no? :plain:

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I'm a collector (and user) of knives. I can tell you by experience that pound-for-pound, carbon steel blades sharpen easier, stay sharp longer, and can be sharpened to a higher degree of sharpness compared to standard stainless steel. Again, this is a generalization, and doesn't speak to exotic ultra-high carbon stainless steels nor does it address non-stainless carbon steels with poor heat treats or large carbon grain structures. But, all things equal, the steels comprising these two heads, I'd be willing to bet that the Carbon Steel version could be sharpened sharper and will hold its edge longer.

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
Is the carbon/steal blend more brittle by chance...or should it be less brittle?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Is the carbon/steal blend more brittle by chance...or should it be less brittle?
I wouldn't expect it to be any different than the stainless in that regard. Brittleness has most to do with the heat-treat and resulting RC hardness. I suspect G5 figured out the right sweet spot for the hardness on this new head. I really think you'll see the difference in how sharp you can get them...

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
I wouldn't expect it to be any different than the stainless in that regard. Brittleness has most to do with the heat-treat and resulting RC hardness. I suspect G5 figured out the right sweet spot for the hardness on this new head. I really think you'll see the difference in how sharp you can get them...
I liked the old heads but after seeing a couple break...yes, not bend, but break , I haven't shot them since. I might try this new one next year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts