Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished trying out the Montec's and found them to be an excellent broadhead. I sighted my bow in using 100 grain field tips. Took those out and put the 100 grain Montec's in and guess what. I had to do nothing.:D They hit the same all the way back to 35 yds as the field tips did. Great arrow flight. No wobble. My buddy came down to shoot his. We have almost identical set-ups. His flew the same for him also. I'm ready to hit the stand. If you get a chance to try these I think you'll be impressed. Good luck this season to you all.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Montec

Are they sharp? The ones I have seen aren't. They won't shave hair. For what you pay for them, I think they should be sharpened. heh

·
Registered
181 Posts
Just bought some this morning!

I just bought some of these this morning (G5 Montec 100gr.) and will try them out tomorrow on my target. Glad to see this post tonight - I was going to post a question about them. I had been looking at them all year, but shot my Gators on opening day last weekend. Can't hunt this weekend, but did take a doe last Saturday.

I've been using mechanical broadheads for the last six years, but something about a solid piece of stainless steel, machined to tight tolerances, made me buy a set to try!! I hope I get the same results as you and your buddy - I'll post my results tomorrow afternoon! Thanks for the report!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This blade was shot in my target at least 10 times today and it will still shave hair. I paid $27.99 for 3.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I love them. I have spin tested them in about 4 different sizes of arrows, around 20 arrows all together, and they all spun like a top. I did have to lower my nocking point a hair to get them to group with my fieldtips but it was 5 minutes work.

I paid 29.95 for 3 but in the long run they will save money due to the fact they can be sharpened and I will not have to buy replacement blades. Now I just have to not lose them!:p

·
Registered
361 Posts
The montec's are a great head.

HEH: Of course they're not sharp, you're supposed to sharpen them. Zwickeys or Bear razorheads are not sharp either when you buy them, but that doesn't make them a bad broadhead.

They are a great head because they are machined straight.

Sharpness is a varying thing. Looks at two types of blades: a razor blade and a knife blade. A razor is sharpened at about a 17 degree angle. While this produces a very sharp blade, it dulls very easily (which is why you need to replace it often). A knife blade is sharpened at a 20 to 25 degree angle. While this may not shave your arm hair, it will hold an edge after some use. This is the idea of the Montec: it's designed to be sharpened very easily on a flat stone. It's also designed to stay sharp after contacting thick hide and not to roll over when contacting bone.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Shot perfect!

Shot perfect, just as I had heard, but had to see for myself.

Started out at 15 yards to see if they would even hit the target - they were hitting the 2" dots right in the middle. Went out to 20 yards and they were right on. Went out to 30 yards and had to move the elevation a bit - they were hitting low, but still right on. Moved out to 40 yards and they were hitting within 2" of the 2" dots. I was done and impressed to say the least! Will sharpen them now and wait until next Saturday Morning!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts