Archery Talk Forum banner

Montecs or Strikers?

892 Views 18 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  Fresh2Salt
Have heard many good things about both. Do the strikers have a practice blade like the montecs? If not can use the montec practice blades if you are going to shoot the strikers (same grain)?

Any input or opinions would be great. Thanks to everyone.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1,043 Posts
Both are great both are very hard hitting. I prefer the strikers myself due to how hard they hit. My girl loves the montecs due to the one piece steel design and resharpening capabilities

· Banned
138 Posts
I have used Both with Great results.. I dont know if either offer a practice Blade . with the Montech G5 you can shoot them all ya want and just resharpen themfor hunting . A great money saving innovation. The Striker is an awesome broadhead and i have taken a couple bucks with then the past couple years. They are both great heads..

Its up to you to decide what is best for you

· Registered
2,847 Posts
I have both as well. I have designated one of the Strikers as a practice head. So far, they hit the same as the Montecs out of tuned bows. The Montec flies exceptionally well at longe range - have gotten some groups as good or better than field points.

· Registered
246 Posts
I would go with the Montecs if you like shoot every little critter that comes by your stand like me so you can just resharpen them. Replaceable blades are just to exspensive IMO.

· aka former "treeslayer"
7,533 Posts
I have the Strikers now, shot Montecs before.
I didn't like the noise the Montecs made going through the air. I also don't like the issues that the Strikers have with the brass collars on the 125gr heads. I am constantly having to replace the collars and check how they spin, to see if they are still straight. It is not unusual to have one shot effect the collars and have them be off on a spin tester.
With this problem, I would now go back with the Montecs if I could.

· Registered
1,327 Posts
Have heard many good things about both. Do the strikers have a practice blade like the montecs? If not can use the montec practice blades if you are going to shoot the strikers (same grain)?

Any input or opinions would be great. Thanks to everyone.
To answer this question: No the Montec is a solid head and the blades do not move, let alone come off. The Strikers do not come with a practice head however, you can shoot a Striker into a Broadhead target several times and still had an edge that will shave. If you are not shooting 50+ yrds, you should be very close to your fieldpoints if your bow is properly tuned. I love the Strikers.

· Registered
29 Posts
Tried the 100gr Strikers for the first time last year. Shot identically to the Montec practice heads for me.

Loved the Strikers on deer.

Did destroy one Striker tip when it embedded into the ground and hit a large rock. That was after a pass-through.

· Registered
1,393 Posts
i like the strikers but my dad swears by the montecs, i dont know about the copperhead but if your a little low on money go with the blackouts from bass pro, almost the same head 1/16 in smaller cut but are SCARY sharp out of the package.

· Registered
773 Posts
I have shot 4 deer with my Montecs...

and the only one I messed up was from a pass through that hit a rock on the other side. Other than that they smash through bone like it wasn't even there. I'll be using my Montecs again for the 4th year in a row. Still have my original six too. Well...five after I lost one to the rock.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.