Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we have a full moon right now and sure enough, I am seeing deer around here out feeding at 2 PM. The longer I hunt and fish, the more I realize what a strong effect that moon has on fish and animals.

Our archery elk seasons can be a little different due to rut overlap....that rut takes over many times.

Fishing is affected for sure, as days with a full moon the fish are not as active during the day.

Now I've had rare good days both fishing and hunting on days when there was a full moon.....but I think for the most part animals and fish are definitely keyed to these moon cycles.

Whats been your experience?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Deer might move more at night during a full moon, but I don't think it effects the rut in any way at all. Studies show that doe's are often bred at the same time every year regardless of what the moon phase is at. I think weather factors like the pressure system, temp., and wind will dictate deer movement far more than the moon ever will.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I spent many years as a fishing Guide. Clients would always ask if they should book near a full moon. I can honestly say in my experience that the moon has little affect on trout and fly fishing. if the barometer changes .... then you can have a slow down. As far as deer go, all my cams record the moon phase. i see a slight trend in more night activity when a full moon is up. this one is kind of tough to put a number on as where i live most deer movement is nocturnal anyway. now Elk is another story. there is a reason i keep 9/15-9/26 open each year to chase bulls in MT.

anyway.... thats just my experience. here is night time with a new moon and daytime with a waxing crescent

sorry for the double pic. not sure how to remove.

new moon-s.jpg
waxing crescant-s.jpg

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
After all these years I'm ambivalent at best about the 'moon' effects.As to hunting,there are few discernable effects to me.Maybe,if there is traffic or pressure there is more night time movement on full moons but that,to me,is riddled with exceptions and often weather dependent.(heat particularly)Full moons but days with cool fog or light rain=bugling bonanzas!!!Ditto on field feeding honkers/mallards-even in snow n cold temps.
For about 50 years I've chased muskies hard.Wherever they exist.I've been blessed to fish with the best and brightest.(bowhunted elk and chased muskies for years with InFish editor Doug Stange)Most,like me are uncertain and little science,true science anyway,exists to support what many claim the facts are.No doubt there are effects-powerful forces are at work for sure,ie 'tides' etc.
For instance I believe there is one near certainty,on mornings that sunrise and moonset coincide,be on the water,the 'Bigs' will be cruising.Even then though,weather trumps all.If that morning presents a post front,high sky,cool weather situation=sleep in.Many though,perhaps a majority of serious musky guys are 'moonies' and true believers.They schedule everything around the moon and,if weather cooperates,attribute their success to the moon.Self fulfilling prophecys.
I've gone back/forth over the years but now hunt/fish whenever I can and am confident in success,IF the weather cooperates.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Musky fisherman are dye hard moon phase influenced . I find it to be spot on and use it when bow hunting and picking my days and times . Saw the biggest buck last year during a "very good" period that was about 2 hrs. long. I am a believer forever now .

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
.......Many though,perhaps a majority of serious musky guys are 'moonies' and true believers.They schedule everything around the moon and,if weather cooperates,attribute their success to the moon.Self fulfilling prophecys................
^ yeah, good point.

I totally agree that other factors play a role such as weather and especially the elk rut as an example.....but it sure seems like times when the other factors don't matter so much....the full moon plays a role.

Maybe some ranchers that see the same herds of deer and elk will chime in.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
No doubt the moon has a monster affect on all game but it combined with barometric pressure and storm fronts are all game changers, I live for crappie fishing when i'm not hunting and the barometric pressure can make or break a day of fishing.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,364 Posts
I have hunted and killed elk in all phases of the moon. However, having said that.......yes it does have an effect on them.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Think of a popular U Tube series last year.On the 'bad moon'(their words)hunt they filled all 4 elk tags.On the 'good moon' hunts,not so much.Prove anything?Yes and no.Proves there are lots of variables.
Hard core musky guys plan trips on good moons only,at major and minor periods they go to their best spots with total focus,guess what?They catch muskies sometimes.What have they proven?
Largely self fulfilling data.Period.
Effects?Yes definitely but subject more to atmosphere and weather than the moon.

·
THE ORIGINAL
9,186 Posts
So we have a full moon right now and sure enough, I am seeing deer around here out feeding at 2 PM. The longer I hunt and fish, the more I realize what a strong effect that moon has on fish and animals.

Our archery elk seasons can be a little different due to rut overlap....that rut takes over many times.

Fishing is affected for sure, as days with a full moon the fish are not as active during the day.

Now I've had rare good days both fishing and hunting on days when there was a full moon.....but I think for the most part animals and fish are definitely keyed to these moon cycles.

Whats been your experience?
Wrote a full article on the subject. So you know it's true...:wink:

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I dunno. I was hunting elk the day before a super moon a few years ago. That morning, elk were moving. Nothing during the day and they were out at dusk. That seemed like pretty standard behavior, but it might have been just where I was.
I want to believe there's some effect, but maybe not enough to write a thesis.

·
THE ORIGINAL
9,186 Posts
Point the way....where is it?
This was quite awhile ago. I doubt you could even still find it online. I will dig a bit and see. It was in Extreme Elk and Eastmans, along with the Outdoor news.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,364 Posts
This was quite awhile ago. I doubt you could even still find it online. I will dig a bit and see. It was in Extreme Elk and Eastmans, along with the Outdoor news.
I'm pretty sure I have all the Extreme Elk issues, I'll have to look for it.

And speaking of Extreme Elk......I really miss that magazine, it was my favorite. And I especially miss it after Western Hunter bought it and then ended up getting rid of their own Elk Hunter magazine. Are you listening Corey?

·
THE ORIGINAL
9,186 Posts
I'm pretty sure I have all the Extreme Elk issues, I'll have to look for it.

And speaking of Extreme Elk......I really miss that magazine, it was my favorite. And I especially miss it after Western Hunter bought it and then ended up getting rid of their own Elk Hunter magazine. Are you listening Corey?
agreed

·
Corripe Cervisiam
22,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Full moon for elk season is Sept 24th. No moon is Sept 8th.

Of course some hunts like my buddy that has a Arizona elk tag...the moon doesn't matter to him, he will hunt the whole 2 week season that ends on about the 23rd I think he said.

I have a MT gen tag. I usually like to hunt as late into Sept as possible....and in MT you can do that....though I like states like Co for elk hunting better. The Co seasons cut off earlier so no choice there.

We went late last year after our Ak moose hunt and that didn't work out too good......those elk had been pressured to death.

I think this year we will head out the weekend of the 8/9th.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I thought some research showed that there was little effect in actual time change due to moon phases in Whitetail. I heard somewhere that their eyesight was so good that the moon didn't have much effect on them.

·
THE ORIGINAL
9,186 Posts
Full moon for elk season is Sept 24th. No moon is Sept 8th.

Of course some hunts like my buddy that has a Arizona elk tag...the moon doesn't matter to him, he will hunt the whole 2 week season that ends on about the 23rd I think he said.

I have a MT gen tag. I usually like to hunt as late into Sept as possible....and in MT you can do that....though I like states like Co for elk hunting better. The Co seasons cut off earlier so no choice there.

We went late last year after our Ak moose hunt and that didn't work out too good......those elk had been pressured to death.

I think this year we will head out the weekend of the 8/9th.
Don't forget about Oct...:zip:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I always hear conflicting moon reports... and unless you are independently wealthy, i find I just hunt when I can... even if I go and sit, it was a great day.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts