Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strykeforce shooting 425 gold tips from wyvern around 385 fps. Will be trying Shuttle T's and slick tricks (1 "). Alot of the boys I hunt with like Montecs, I have concerns about plaining. Other suggestions of BH and arrow setups, thanks.

·
Banned
306 Posts
Moose?

With your set up I would shoot the 170 grain Thunderhead magnums ,come with 170 grain practice tips included with broadheads, by newarcheryproducts.com
They are all steel and very , very sharp, a wicked broadhead for the strykeforce

or 145 grain fred bear broadheads by trophy ridge,and or the 145 phatheads by steel force, they make a 190 grain african 2 blade,,,,.080 blades the thickest on the market.phathead by steel force cut on contact.

its hard to go wrong with a muzzy Phantoms in chosen weights.great big game broadheads

all steel Hellrazors by nap in 125,,,

Look for all steel broadheads no aluminum ferrels, a cut on contact gives best penetration on big game animals
any of these will get ur done depending on what weight broadhead you choose to shoot.
My dad had a horse ranch in montana at the base of the bitterroot mountains and I saw a lot of moose at his place,Awesome big animals,

The shuttle t and razor tricks will be fine for your hunt.

·
Vendor
5,694 Posts
Actually 170 gr will give you too much FOC. They were designed to add weight to arrows that had aluminum inserts and yours have 110gr brass...stick with 125's, but you do have alot of choices. Just about any 1" cut on impact should fly pretty well, and I myself like Spitfires, but everyone has an opinion on broadheads...

Wyvern

·
Banned
24,135 Posts
That's for sure

For an animal that big I'd definitely go with a good NAP fixed blade head or even a 3 blade Muzzy....something with fairly large cutting area.............which means you best carefully check flight characteristics/accuracy. From what I've recently tested with the SF, I would use 5" feathers that will stabilize seven the largest fixed blade heads at over 350 fps. Make sure you have plenty weight FOC.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I LOVE steelforce broadheads. I am going to try the Phathead series of heads from them. They should go through a Moose like a hot knife through butter.

Best of luck

Brian

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
What state are you going to, some will not allow you to use mechanicals. Alaska is one, Washington, and there are others. I agree with the all steel bh like the Slick Trick, Montec, Buzzcut, some NAPs. A 125 grain will be the right weight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts