Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Wow... those grouse are just between lowland gorillas and dolphins on the intelligence scale, aren't they. :confused:

·
Registered
7,623 Posts
The nice mature side of me says "natures beauty, let it sit, and enjoy its presence", and the devilish immature side says "punch it" lol!:confused: Neat pics, and cool experience. I had a bird land on the end of my dads 7mm one time when i was ground hunting in some brush, it was cool.

Derek

·
This is Heaven
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dang bird even flew onto my hand and scratched me...hope it didn't have any bird illness! hah

·
Banned
2,526 Posts
That's way cool!!

Dad and I were hunting one time at our favorite spot. The hunting was not too hot so we headed back to the truck. The closer we got His license plate looked funny. I said what the heck is on your truck. Well it was a ruff grouse (fools hen is what we call them) I pointed my gun at it joking and Dad says don't you dare!!! LOL

I like the fact they aren't too smart because they sure are good to eat!!!:wink:

Kris

·
This is Heaven
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You got that right...but this is the only one I've ever gotten this close to! noramlly they fly off long before this happens!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Nice photos.

Back in 81, my father was driving the family up to Elliot Lake Ontario for a summer camping vacation. We had to stop the vehicle trice to gently kick the grouse off the highway..literally. We couldn’t believe it. They just wouldn't move, and he wasn't about to gun them down with the vehicle.
Thanks for bringing back that memory.

·
Registered
337 Posts
grouse

That's those crAzy birds in spring they always get into old chicken grapes. Kinda gets them drunk or something see them all the time pickin morals

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
WOW!!! that's cool.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I had one around for two years, that could not be chased away. It would attack me when I left my cabin. I even squirted it with a garden hose and it came back for more. I finally got tired of looking over my shoulder wondering when I would be attacked, so I put a cardboard box over it and transported to my buddies cabin as a joke. It did not stay around his cabin long. I have pictures as is was quite a novelty as first but the second year it got aggresive. Weird!

RT

·
This is Heaven
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This one is a lot more aggressive when I'm walking away from it.
I think the feeling of keeping your eyes wide open wondering when you are going to hear those wings flapping!

·
This is Heaven
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I thought about jumping out quick shutting the tailgate and cover and taking him home as a pet! then he clawed my hand...and that idea went out the window!

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
That is just precious. What an experience. Musta been a friend of yours in a previous life.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Some of the responces have got me ROTF......

this is a great thread....

I have had birds land on me, while turkey hunting....

had BIG hawks fly in to within a few feet when bow hunting......even had deer, die a few yards from where the truck was parked, when hunting areas near the road......

at this point though the only animals I ever found in my truck like that were dead:tongue:

·
This is Heaven
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That is just precious. What an experience. Musta been a friend of yours in a previous life.
Thats weird...you are the third person to say that to me.
Asking who came back and is watching over me..

Dumb bird took a big dump on my foot, and my tailgate, and then proceeded to try and eat my carhart pants...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts