Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been feeling a lot of hand shock lately and my wrist is getting sore. Only hurts after the shot. Doesn't hurt at draw or anchor. I've taken the advise of some of you and seated my bow in my hand, got everything lined up, loosened my grip. My accuracy has increased but I'm still feeling soreness in the wrist. I don't really know what else to do.
Does a take down bow have less hand shock than my one piece?
If so, I'm gettin' a new bow. This shouldn't be happening. It's almost too bad too because I'm shooting better now than ever.
Help please.

·
Registered
761 Posts
What kind of one piece are you using? How do you distribute your hand pressure (primarily web, heel or aprox equal down the hand)?

·
Premium Member
11,442 Posts
I've been feeling a lot of hand shock lately and my wrist is getting sore. Only hurts after the shot. Doesn't hurt at draw or anchor. I've taken the advise of some of you and seated my bow in my hand, got everything lined up, loosened my grip. My accuracy has increased but I'm still feeling soreness in the wrist. I don't really know what else to do.
Does a take down bow have less hand shock than my one piece?
If so, I'm gettin' a new bow. This shouldn't be happening. It's almost too bad too because I'm shooting better now than ever.
Help please.
What "THAT" tells me is your wrist isn't pinching any nerves at "compression" but may be banging a couple at extension...here's my laymens based on experience prescription...

1. Go to a sporting goods store and spend $10 on a quality wrist brace..i got a nice velcro/cordura adjustable wrap around model at sports authority for about that...no splints in it...just a good quality thick wrist wrap...(justa snug things up so your old, worn, loose wrist joints don't slap around so much at the shot and bang nerves)

2. After age 50?..."Glucosamine" is your friend.....Get the "Fast-Acting Formula" at first...

3. Alieve...(AKA "Naproxen Sodium" at about 1/2-2/3rds the cost of the brand name)...but don't take two at one time...take one in the morning and one in the evening spaced 12 hours apart....Many MD's claim it to be a better anti-inflammatory than any behind the counter anti-inflammatory they can prescribe.

4. Begin a regimin of "Fish Oil"...and you'll need a few extra rolls of Charmin to go with that at first and you don't need to take it long but the Fish Oil in conjuction with the Glucosimine will get some "Buffer Fluids" to you're old worn out wrist joints..take it for about 2-3 months then just stick with the glucosimine..and if i'm right?..you should be fine shortly.

Hope that helps and L8R, Bill. :cool2:

·
Registered
20,759 Posts
j -

Every bow has handshock, bar-none.

Assuming the bow was built properly, has the bow been correctly tuned using the right arrow? An improperly made bow with negative tiller will shock and vibrate like crazy.

Assuming you're using an arrow with enough weight. Anything over 9gr/lb should be plenty, but you can go higher.

To rule out physical issues (with you) have you tried any other bows, and was the hand shock the same, more or less tolerable?

Can you add mass the the riser (ie a stabilizer and/or vibration dampeners) or something like limb savers (don't personally like them).

Typically a T/D bow will have less hand shock than a one piece since they are usually physically heavier. ILF rigs have more tuning options.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jeb, I'm shooting a PSE Blackhawk and the pressure in my hand is in the palm kind of at the base of the thumb pad. Jinks, thanks. I live with two women so having enough Charmin on hand is not an issue:) I'll start the Glucosamine today. Already have a wrist brace like you described. I'll go with that for now. I'm really shooting well and the prospect of starting over really is NOT appealing to me. Shot a 449 FITA yesterday.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
449 fita indoor at 20 yds. Now, back yard scores are not competition scores but it's still a personal best.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Viper, the arrows are flying great. I'll have to look at the weight of them though. I'm shooting aluminum shafts so they might now be as heavy as 9gr/lb. I have shot a take down before. Actually, this whole problem is a new one. I've been shooting this bow exclusively for 6months now.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Viper, the platinum plus 1813's are 7.9gr/lb

·
Registered
368 Posts
The other problem may be that you are shooting too much. I know when I get on a roll and am shooting everyday joints and muscles start getting abused. My shoulder, elbow and wrists start hurting. Sometimes you have too take a few days off to heal. Sometimes it helps to shoot less shots per session as well. I know I wish I could shoot hundreds of shots per day, but I cant.

·
Registered
20,759 Posts
J -

You might be able to switch to 1716s and add a little weight.

A really quick test would be to shoot the heaviest arrows your have or can borrow (regardless of tune) and see if there is any difference.

It might be something as simple as the way that bow sits in your hand, or the way you are holding it, can't see that from here.

Before you run out and buy a bunch of OTC remedies, remember that their success (IF any) is predicated on removing what is causing the damage, which means laying off shooting until things heal.

Sorry, hard to diagnose things like this over the net, so the best we can do is speak in generalities.

Viper1 out.

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
What kind of string is on the bow? Material and strand count.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Viper, I looked at the Easton arrow chart and based on my draw weight and arrow length, 2013's with 100grn tips fit the bill and has 9gr/in weight. so I happen to have one so I cut it to length and played with the tip weights. It turns out, just in one day, that they shoot fine with 145grn tips. But boy are they slow. The hand and wrist felt ok but too soon to tell because I'm still a little sore from earlier today. I'll wait a day or so and try it again.

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
You really shouldn't be feeling handshock with arrows of that weight. Perhaps you need to modify your technique or tune.

Have you tried shooting with a finger sling? I get terrible finger pain if I shoot with any sort of grip.

-Grant

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
Somebody mentioned this in your other thread....

Did you check the brace height?

Friend had a similar problem. Shock of the bow was killing her shoulder. Twisted up the string, got the brace height back up (the string had stretched), and everything was happy again.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Have you tried shooting with a finger sling? I get terrible finger pain if I shoot with any sort of grip.

-Grant
The finger/wrist sling is likely your best solution for the moment, it doesnt matter about bow vibration/shock because the bow jumps forward out of your hand on release and is caught by the sling. Last couple of years Ive had a serious tendon problem locking my ring finger closed, using a sling has helped me continue shooting pain free.

Simple finger sling can be made from and old shoe lace, a use a finger sling on all my bows now, even the Longbows

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Brace height is at 8 1/2" so all ok there. Last night I shot the 1813's and 2013's side by side and could not believe the difference. the 2013's with a 145gr tip were so much smoother. I did shoot that yesterday before the snow at 20yds and I think that's the right set up. I'm going to check it again in the next day or so just to make sure before I buy any. I don't understand why this has become a problem all of a sudden. I never felt this before and I've been shooting the 1813's for over 6 months. Just a curious question...since this came on so suddenly, could there be something wrong with my limbs or string? I'd hate to invest in some new shafts if something else is wrong.

·
Registered
733 Posts
QUOTE: “ since this came on so suddenly, could there be something wrong with my limbs or string? I'd hate to invest in some new shafts if something else is wrong. “
Sounds like you’ve been run over by the Old Age truck ... where s**t happens unexpectedly ... :mg: Take what Jinx recommended ... I do , and more ... don’t shoot EVERY day , every other day is fine ... and @65 now , I do a little warm up first with a very light (30#) bow , before we get the real weapons out ... Just sayin’ ... nature’s way of telling you to slow down ...
Bows are like women , each one is different and has to be fine tuned to be pleasant ... Arrow weight and brace height adjustments seem to be most effective .... and no “death grip” on the bow either ...

·
Registered
20,759 Posts
j -

It's possible (but unlikely) that something changed with the equipment, but impossible to tell from here. Look for changes in tiller or differences in the curvatures of the upper and lower limbs, obvious twists, etc. Worst case would be a possible delamination. That would usually show progressive worsening.

String changes causing that are rare, but in a bizarre case, a change in length can effect the harmonics of the string.

If the arrow weight did solve the problem, then a 1716, which I believe weighs the same as a 2013 would be a better choice.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Maybe borrow another bow and shoot it a few times - see what happens.

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
String changes causing that are rare,...
Not in my experience. I've shot bows that changed noticeably when the brace dropped 1/4"-1/2", which is not uncommon with dacron, or just a new string that hasn't been shot in. If the OP just changed strings, the difference in the old and new could easily be the culprit. Low brace, way overbuilt string on a lighter draw weight, string stretching/creeping...a few possibilities. Really good shooters can shoot the difference in strings that vary by a few strands.

Putting a lousy string on a good bow is like putting watered down gas in a Corvette.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts