Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
In constant pursuit of...
8,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Glad all of these have been charged...This is from the kdwp Officers Logbook

•Had a local deer hunter start a CRP field on fire and burned up his truck trying to go pick up a deer his son had shot; of course there were no other witnesses.
•There weren’t as many deer hunters as I was expecting, however there were a lot of pheasant hunters. Mostly bucks harvested only saw one dead doe in a truck.
•A fair number of hunters have been checked the first 5 days of season, with some fair success. I've seen some nice bucks taken of both species. I've had the typical complaints of chasing deer with motor vehicles, trespass, road hunting and on and on.
•Lots of deer being found dumped with back straps and antlers missing, not near enough hours to work for firearms deer season.
•Had three hunters arguing with each other almost came to blows.
•Received a call of an injured deer and took care of it. Two more deer were called in as poached. Took a report from an out of state hunter who had shot a nice 13 pt. whitetail and had it stolen. The hunter had stopped in to eat supper and when he headed back out to his truck he noticed the deer head had been taken. Took a few calls of people driving through WIHA.
•Held wildlife check lane on Sunday with KHP. Just wasn't a good day for one man who brought his freshly road poached trophy deer head through the check lane, what luck. Caught up to another road hunter on way home from check lane.
•Got a call Sunday night of shots from the road. Deputies located vehicle and brought to the SO. Found untagged deer in bed along with three rifles and two spotlights.
•Made case after guy tried to take me to show me where meat and tag for deer head was when he came through check lane. He drove about 15 miles then stopped and said "you got me". Had shot the 10 pt on unknown landowner and cut head off and left body. Issued several tickets including trophy deer violation.
•Met with trespasser that I caught on my trail camera. It is a retired lawyer, he said those cameras take pretty good pictures and agreed that the evidence would be hard to beat. He and landowner came to agreement that it will never happen again
•Deer hunters are complaining of not seeing any deer.
•Report of signal 4 subject wanting to go for a swim. Subject was found and taken to the hospital. Responded to reports of trespass, hunter harassment, and spotlighting. Stopped vehicle on I-70 with deer in the bed of the truck. Subject was transporting two deer with two different tags and no transfer slip from the other hunter.
•Responded to aid a deer hunter lost in the WA during the snow storm. He was only a quarter mile from the road and his truck but couldn’t tell in the dark and the heavy snow fall which way to walk until I arrived. Then, had to help him drag his deer to the road. Enjoyed listening to all the game warden radio traffic that went on way after dark each night of deer season so far. Keep the flag waving.

·
8,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Part 2

•Had a landowner who confronted a trespasser. The trespasser threatened to shoot him, the landowner retreated. The trespasser supposedly shot at the landowner 4 times My K-9 was able to locate 3 spent 270 casings and 1 live 270 round.
•Checked a few hunters then found a hunter that had shot a small buck, then decided he didn’t want to use his buck tag for such a small buck so he broke both antlers off and tagged the deer with his antlerless deer tagged. Before it was over with he lost his buck tag, his antlerless tag, his deer and paperwork was issued.
•Arrested a subject for using a spotlight to locate wildlife while in possession of shotgun and muzzleloader. KHP arrested the driver for D.U.I and driving with a suspended license.
•Over the weekend saw lots of bucks that had been harvested, most by non-resident's from Arkansas. Stopped behind a truck driving slow down a back county road at 6:30 Friday morning. The truck stopped in middle of the road until I pulled up behind, it then pulled over to the left ditch. I walked up to the truck...another Arkansas vehicle.... and checked two young men with loaded rifles laying in the seat by each of them. They had no licenses, no permits and had no idea exactly were they were. They told me they were looking to lease land from any landowner and then they were going to buy deer permits. They had no literature showing them were the management units were, so I sent them on their way North.
•Found some guys coming out of field Friday night on way home. Needless to say they had nothing right, no tag, no license, no orange, archery only tag, fail to tag, illegal transfer, and so on.
•Had subject road hunting, shot at deer and then hide his guns on me. Thanks to a K-9 unit that was close by, located 2 guns and got a written confession from him.
•Untagged deer case on one that was shot the night before but still untagged the following morning when another officer noticed the deer in the back of the truck going down the road. Checked a couple of deer at the local locker while there helping out. One of the guys checked there in the morning was found later that night coming out of the field with and untagged doe. Wasn't his lucky day. From there found a truck with three younger guys wearing orange milling around in the road. When I stopped they said they'd run out of gas and had someone coming to help them. Said they'd been deer hunting earlier so I checked tags and talked to them for a couple minutes. During this their help arrived with a gas can. Both individuals there to help exited the vehicle carrying open containers of beer. The driver was very drunk, blowing a .271 on a PBT and a .257 on the intoxilizer at the jail after he was arrested for TOC, Driving while suspended and suspicion of DUI. Since files were down unable to get a full history on his priors but got some information from MO on his non driver ID. They showed 7 convictions for DUI. When asked about how many he had he laughed and said I think it’s more like 14 total.
•Landowner complaint on some trespassers. Got most of the details figured out and will be drawing up charges on it a bit later. One buck was shot Sunday morning and not retrieved or tracked then another one was shot Sunday evening while trespassing. No hunter orange and the landowner's brother caught them with the second deer. The first deer shot was also found by the landowner's brother at which time they said they'd take care of it. They then bought another buck tag for the wife of the trespasser and put it on the first deer that was shot. Big mess but got it sorted out. All could have been prevented had they followed up and tracked the first deer they shot. Now they're facing up to 11 charges for all of their goof ups.
•Another deer season is behind us except for archery which runs to the end of the year and a few days in January for the extended season.

http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/news/Other-Services/Law-Enforcement/Officer's-Logbook

·
Classifieds Administrator
39,210 Posts
Amazing what game wardens see on a daily basis. Thanks for sharing.

I bet no two days are alike for them!

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Wow some real winners out there. You are right Lou I bet they don't see the same things from day to day. It would be a cool job sometimes.

·
Registered
594 Posts
The punishment is not severe enough. These people just do not care.

·
Fat Jesus
29,130 Posts
It's a busy time of the year for the Possum Cops that's for sure.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
What I want to know is how in the world a guy can have 14 DUIs? Anyone with such a gross disregard for the law shouldn`t be allowed to walk free with the rest of society. Of course he`ll have to kill some innocent people before he gets his wrists slapped. All the wildlife code violations pale in comparison to this.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts

·
Banned
18,640 Posts
Poachers should lose their gun's, vehicles, and hunting priviledge's for life ......:mad:

·
Registered
672 Posts
I agree. The punishment should be more severe. There is a lot of poaching and road shooting here in S Ohio and they get away with it. They should loose everything when caught!! And thrown in jail. There is not call for any of it. They are the ones who give us a bad name.

·
Registered
295 Posts
What I want to know is how in the world a guy can have 14 DUIs? Anyone with such a gross disregard for the law shouldn`t be allowed to walk free with the rest of society. Of course he`ll have to kill some innocent people before he gets his wrists slapped. All the wildlife code violations pale in comparison to this.
One way is rich parents. My cousin that I'm so proud of - 9 DUI convictions including one that killed a women which he got a whoppin' 5 years for. As soon as he was out he's drinking & driving again. Made it all the way to AAA baseball & could have been living the dream. http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=3038753

·
8,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My brothers daughter was killed by a drunk driver. He got 5 years as well and is out now,...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts