Nice bucks, you have been busy!

·
Bonehunter
8,848 Posts
Great job...welcome to AT :wink:

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Seven very nice bucks that you have been kind enough to share on 3 different threads today. Awesome job! Glad you landed here. Welcome to AT!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Story on the Top Left Buck:
I saw a good looking spot while scouting that lead me to a ridge top covered up with scrapes and a rub line.
So I put a camera there on a social scrape which was in the middle of a patch of white oaks.
I went back a week later the check my SD card and saw him on Camera on October 18 2011 and loved that rack.
I put 2 drops of Estrus in the scrape to see what else would come in.
Then I put a Magnum Driper over the scrape on October 22 because the false rut was coming in on Oct 27-28th.
On November 11th I hunted that spot for the 1st time and I climbed in the stand at 9am because it was the peak of the rut and a full moon.
I first saw a 6 pointer with his nose down and cruising.
Then @ 1pm I saw a Big 9 in hot pursuit of a hot doe come running up the ridge where I was and stopped 40 yards from me in a thicket.
As I watched them for an hour I heard and saw something out of the corner of my eye and it was this buck coming up the ridge the check the scrape I was hunting.
He was about 15 yards from me and when he look away I drew my bow and anchored in. He got with in 12 yards of me and I released and the arrow hit him behind the shoulder.
He did that high kick and ran off and crashed 20 yards.
The Big 9 never even heard me shoot so I nocked another arrow.
He started walking towards me the looked behind me which made me turn around to see what he was looking at.
A Big 12 came in to check out the hot doe because her scent was blowing right in his direction.
I then changed focus from the 9 to the 12 which was at least a 170" buck.
The Big 9 ran the 12 off then he came back to tend the doe. When he got closer to me I was trying to pick a spot to aim through and hopefully take him as well.
He gave me a 15 yard shot with only his should showing. Then I remember I left my ATV home and I didn't want to drag out 2 buck by myself.
So I passed on the shot but I did watch that Big 9 breed the doe.
That was one of my most exciting hunt ever.
11-11-11
Ice Man

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Story on the Top Right Buck.
I was hunting just outside of a doe bedding area.
I started by pulling a drag rag down the edge of the crp field 200 yards long, then I turned in and walk 20 yards pass my stand.
After climbing the stand I saw 4 does go into there beds then i looked and saw this buck with his nose on the ground following my scent towards me.
I stood and got ready for the shot.
He go within 12 yards of my stand and I drew back and placed my pin high on his back and released.
He kicked up and ran 15 yards and stopped then fell over.
Drag ragging is an Awesome technique.
Ice man

1 - 18 of 18 Posts