Archery Talk Forum banner

More S4 questions

576 Views 14 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Arrow
Looking at the Martin 2008 Spec charts in the Furious/Furious X section, I see:
S4 Scepter Elite "Small"
and
S4 Scepter Elite "Large"

2 questions/comments:
What is the "Small"/"Large" above referring to?

Shouldn't limbs marked "6M" result in a max draw weight of approx. 60# when the limbs are bottomed out? I bottomed mine on Sat. and the only got 52# dw.

Even though the strings that came on this bow are "name brand" strings, I'm beginning to have my doubts that they were "new" strings when installed. The bow still had the tags on it, so no doubt it hadn't been shot very much, but the servings on the string are separating bad and even appear to be fraying. String "stretch" is all I can imagine that would account for the loss in dw, so I'm ready to replace them; however, I want to be sure I get the correct length.

Thanks
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
7,320 Posts
Lee, My S4 started chewing up the string serving that feeds into the cam. Turns out I had a little bur in the cam groove. I found it with a q-tip then a little very fine sandpaper fixed it out nice. I do know that the large refers to the medium-long draw mods and the small are the short-medium draw mods. The S4 has like 6in of draw length adjustment. I do not have an answer on the poundage.

· Time for Spots to die
2,096 Posts
Lee,

I would guess that the cables may be the wrong size as well as the string. If the string were to stretch, then the draw weight would be higher, but if the cables stretched as well, then the weight would go down.

Sorry that I could not help more.

Arrow

· aka "5 Spot"
9,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. Forgot to mention that the mods are "M". The cables have always seemed a bit "slack"; however, they measured exactly what the spec sheet called for (45") when I first got the bow - haven't remeasured them lately.

As far as the burr on the cams/mods, I have been "warned" about that possibility and will definitely do some 400 sanding on them when I take the bow down.

I measured the BH & A2A on Sat., but didn't write them down and my "senior" mind can't remember what they were, BUT I'm reasonable sure they were NOT what the spec sheet calls for (8" BH & 45" A2A). Driving the wife's car today so don't have the bow with me - if I did, I'd re-measure and verify this morning.

· aka "5 Spot"
9,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lee,

I would guess that the cables may be the wrong size as well as the string. If the string were to stretch, then the draw weight would be higher, but if the cables stretched as well, then the weight would go down.

Sorry that I could not help more.

Arrow
Please explain (I'm a newbie). I would think that if the string stretched, the limbs would have less preload on them and result in a lower draw weight.

· Registered
7,320 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys. Forgot to mention that the mods are "M". The cables have always seemed a bit "slack"; however, they measured exactly what the spec sheet called for (45") when I first got the bow - haven't remeasured them lately.

As far as the burr on the cams/mods, I have been "warned" about that possibility and will definitely do some 400 sanding on them when I take the bow down.

I measured the BH & A2A on Sat., but didn't write them down and my "senior" mind can't remember what they were, BUT I'm reasonable sure they were NOT what the spec sheet calls for (8" BH & 45" A2A). Driving the wife's car today so don't have the bow with me - if I did, I'd re-measure and verify this morning.
Is this a X cam'd bow?

· Registered
7,320 Posts
Ok...well your cables on the X cam'd bow will be sorta "slack" compared to other bows. What I did was make sure that all the cables are about the same tension. I would pluck each one until the tone was close. I didn't put a tuner on them or anything but I have a pretty good ear. Then take any lean out, double check the tiller then see what you get spec wise and poundage wise. If all that checks out then it could be a strand count issue with the string. My s4 had 16in limbs and nitrous x B base cams with reg mods. The specs I asked LeEarl for I got. It was dead nuts perfect. But I noticed that once I "tuned" my cables I got a little more Draw weight. You might have to sacrifice alittle ATA to get the poundage you want. I'm just really thinking out loud, I might be off the mark alittle....LSU lost and my fantasy team lost this weekend...so my head ain't right :crazy:

· aka "5 Spot"
9,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is this a X cam'd bow?
Yes, it is.

Yes. :nod:
Thanks Sticky - got tied up with "work" and didn't get back here for a little while.

Ok...well your cables on the X cam'd bow will be sorta "slack" compared to other bows. What I did was make sure that all the cables are about the same tension. I would pluck each one until the tone was close. I didn't put a tuner on them or anything but I have a pretty good ear. Then take any lean out, double check the tiller then see what you get spec wise and poundage wise. If all that checks out then it could be a strand count issue with the string. My s4 had 16in limbs and nitrous x B base cams with reg mods. The specs I asked LeEarl for I got. It was dead nuts perfect. But I noticed that once I "tuned" my cables I got a little more Draw weight. You might have to sacrifice alittle ATA to get the poundage you want. I'm just really thinking out loud, I might be off the mark alittle....LSU lost and my fantasy team lost this weekend...so my head ain't right :crazy:
Wow - what a great place - no only have I got some really good responses to this thread, without the discussion turning to my "shooting abilities", I've also received a PM from 1 fellow NC shooter offering to make me a set of strings and a telephone call from another saying that he has a set of strings he never used on his S4 that I was welcomed to. Guess I'm going to have to get "sick" again this afternoon so I can do a little bow work this evening. :tongue:

Thanks ALL!

· Registered
4,738 Posts
I'm pretty sure I've got some cables that would work Lee if you need them, but I know I don't have a string...treaton may have something you could work with...

Definately sounds like something ain't right though. Have you used the scale on another bow to verify that the scale is correct?

As for the Small/Large Furious cams...next time you see jarlicker with his red bow, look at the cam, that is the "Large" furious...what you have is the small...

I may try to make it out this weekend to DCWC after Soccer. My in-laws will be in town, so I am really hoping I can get away (they aren't bad, but my wife becomes a bit difficult when they are around...)

· Registered
2,026 Posts
Lee
Take the string and cables off the bow, measure them and see what you get, twist them back to factory specs they should match factory spec.
Use a nail but use a nail with the same diameter as the post on the cam, pull tight and measure the outside loop end to end
I think with the S4 and your spec your string 561/2 and the cables are 45 3/4

Your axle and axle must be out, measure your brace height and axle to axle with limbs bottom out, see if you get factory specs.

Lee can you post a pics of cam and I will see if I can see if the cam is right

If this does not work, its time to try the little blue pill for reptile dsyfunction, just remember if lasting more than 4 hours seek immediate medical attention from jarlicker:tongue: Or just get the bow that has the little red apple by its name:wink:

· aka "5 Spot"
9,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again folks. Spent the afternoon at Mac's shop. He had a new set of WC strings that he didn't plan to use. We took the bow down and discovered that there was in fact burrs on the mods and cams and that there was way too much play in the axle bushing. And the bushings that were supposed to be in the mods were not even there. :eek:

Jarlicker came by after he got off work. While these guys did most of the work, they "required" me to get my hands dirty as well - best way to learn. :wink:

Replaced cam and mod bushing, shims, strings, and cables. Everything appears to be back in spec now. Got to shoot just enough in the shop to get the strings seated and peep installed. Man, I couldn't believe how much LESS vibration there is. I was actually beginning to wonder why you guys liked the Martins so much - the way it was, it was somewhat painful due to the vibration.

Have no idea if all this work will improve my final scores, but I'm sure it will be much more pleasant to shoot.

Thanks Mac & JL for all your time - sorry Mac if you have to work all night to make up for the lost "productive" time today. :wink:

Now, everyone come out to DCWC on Sat. for another 600 round - I may not post the highest score, but sure bet you I'll enjoy shooting more than I have recently.

· Registered
8,684 Posts
Thanks again folks. Spent the afternoon at Mac's shop. He had a new set of WC strings that he didn't plan to use. We took the bow down and discovered that there was in fact burrs on the mods and cams and that there was way too much play in the axle bushing. And the bushings that were supposed to be in the mods were not even there. :eek:

Jarlicker came by after he got off work. While these guys did most of the work, they "required" me to get my hands dirty as well - best way to learn. :wink:

Replaced cam and mod bushing, shims, strings, and cables. Everything appears to be back in spec now. Got to shoot just enough in the shop to get the strings seated and peep installed. Man, I couldn't believe how much LESS vibration there is. I was actually beginning to wonder why you guys liked the Martins so much - the way it was, it was somewhat painful due to the vibration.

Have no idea if all this work will improve my final scores, but I'm sure it will be much more pleasant to shoot.

Thanks Mac & JL for all your time - sorry Mac if you have to work all night to make up for the lost "productive" time today. :wink:

Now, everyone come out to DCWC on Sat. for another 600 round - I may not post the highest score, but sure bet you I'll enjoy shooting more than I have recently.
Just feed that Lizard these little blue pills, that should get a rise out of ya. :):)

· Registered
1,877 Posts
I could tell Prag was on one of his last legs......and we couldn't let a Brother Archer be so down on his latest attempt to buy more X's than is humanly possible to hit..........:tongue:

we gutted that lizard big time.....now it's a fine-tuned arrow-flingin machine if Ole Prag can hold it:)

....ya'll enjoy playing at DCWC this weekend, even heard something about Mootown.....

· Time for Spots to die
2,096 Posts
Lee,

WHen the string stretches, the draw length increases. This causes the draw weight to go up. I am glad the the Mac Man got you hooked up.

I wish NC was not so far from NM. I would love to come out and shoot a round or ten.

Arrow

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.