Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a new switchback xt and I am looking at getting more speed out of it. I had it chronied right at 250fps. I would like to add some speed, but how can I do that rather inexpensively? I shoot Gold tip 5575 arrows with 90 grain muzzy broadheads, and 4in feathers. Would changing the fletching and/or broadheads help any? What about the 2in blazers?

·
Registered
46 Posts
What do you have on the string? Peep tubing? Cat-whiskers..anything like that will slow you down.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
The feathers vs Blazers issue is kind of a wash. What is your draw weight? What is your D/L? What is your arrow length? What type of arrow rest are you using? Are you using a string loop or a knock? Have you had the timing on the cam checked? ( I know that can affect speed on a single cam)

Nuts & Bolts is the man. If he sees this thread he can really help you out.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use a peep sight without tubing. My draw weight it 65lbs, draw length 26.5,
arrows are 27", a string loop, and a Ultra drop away arrow rest. I have not had the timing on my cams checked. And I do not have anything on my string other than the loop. One more question, will changing the grain broadhead affect pass through/ penetration, if I was to decrease weight?

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
I had it chronied right at 250fps

If your D/L is only 26.5 then 250 FPS is an awesome speed for a Switchback. You might consider shortening your arrow until only about 1" extends beyond the rest. This will stiffen up your spine, and speed up your arrow. It will reduce your weight and give you less momentum though. A light broadhead will also reduce your momentum and make the arrow faster. I would definitley use a cut-on-contact head.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I currently use muzzy 4-blade 90 grain broadheads and I am thinking about switching to the grim reaper razor cut 85 grain broadheads, any thought on those? And will the lose of momentum I get if I switch to the 85 grain be drastic/bad?

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
Shorten your arrows, at that DL you can expect much more from an XT!

·
NC ASA Director
35,988 Posts
Cam rotation on a XT ...

but that sounds like good speed for that type arrow.

The GT UL's would gain you the most performance that would be noticable and a 75 grain head.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Go to www.mathewsinc.com and check out the forum there, lots of helpful people who all shoot mathews bows. You could crank your bow up to 70# but this may not be a great idea with hunting season around the corner. You could also build a 325 gr arrow and shoot at 5 grains per pound. I wouldn't worry too much, you have a deer killin machine already :thumbs_up

1 - 9 of 9 Posts